Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

23 hours ago, lawfulintrigue said:

Agree "Devon Watson believes teachers have put up with pay erosion out of their sense of duty, but says that won't pay their mortgage". Lots of people are struggling to pay mortgages. I have been in education for many years (UK and IOM), now retired thankfully out of this situation of electronic teaching and very few hands on teaching methods. Like any areas of employment there are some very dedicated but others who ride the system and shout the loudest for more money. Duty! to whom? A duty of care to children's education or a duty of care to themselves?

You have a duty of care towards yourself and your family before other people's children. You don't have any right to a decent education for your children on the backs of others.

Children represent the future of our nation.  It's about time we treated the one's who are supposed to nurture that future commensurate with the importance of the job we claim we want them to do. Trouble is most parents simply see the teachers as cheap daycare for their little monsters and strikes simply an inconvenience to their entitled existences.

12 hours ago, Banker said:

Couple more local loudmouths were also on picket line along with UK rent a mob 

https://gef.im/2022/11/30/union-leaders-warn-of-discontent/

That'll be trying to stoke the fire with 'Leaning Support Assistants' and other non-teaching staff in schools then.  This will try to widen the net to cover government staff when the next pay deals come up

I now know some of the teachers seen in some photos of strikers.  New cars, expensive hobbies, flying away on holidays for 7 weeks a year and new houses.

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Edge confirms that less than 200 votes to actually strike, despite those of us who thought that was the case continually being told it’s was far more than that.

How embarrassing for the union who have been trying to stir up feeling by stating percentages of those who returned a vote making the support appear greater than it was.

No sign of any picket lines on my travels, but admittedly I haven’t been past the Douglas schools which I guess is where all the drama is.  

24 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So Edge confirms that less than 200 votes to actually strike, despite those of us who thought that was the case continually being told it’s was far more than that.

How embarrassing for the union who have been trying to stir up feeling by stating percentages of those who returned a vote making the support appear greater than it was.

No sign of any picket lines on my travels, but admittedly I haven’t been past the Douglas schools which I guess is where all the drama is.  

Nothing at St Ninians or Ballakermeen

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

I now know some of the teachers seen in some photos of strikers.  New cars, expensive hobbies, flying away on holidays for 7 weeks a year and new houses.

They must be bloody good at saving to manage that on those salaries.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Jobs now advertised at the new salary scales.  Poor things.

E045AA99-C6B7-4391-B33B-13DEBDE5E608.jpeg

To point out the bloody obvious, the union members who voted in favour of striking are fairly unlikely to not yet be teachers. The bumped starting pay is a good thing, but because it was done by removing a handful of spine points it doesn't do anything at all for experienced teachers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

Why should they if they are happy in their present employment other than a lot less than a teaching salary?
Do teachers of science and maths have an uplift in salary like some I believe in the UK ?

They shouldn't, but it's supply and demand isn't it? If we don't have enough teachers, we have to offer more money or better conditions until we do.

• Like 1