Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

11 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Shhhh, don’t upset them.🤫

It’s one business out of hundreds of thousands offering a 10 percent pay rise.

Hardly proves a massive point.  Some are lucky enough to be getting more than that and some are getting less or nothing.

As a private business they can offer what they want and the more money they are making the more they are likely to offer an increase.  The staff can obviously have an impact on what profit the business generates.

Its pretty simple stuff really.

34 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Oh look!  The beloved private sector is making big pay settlements now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64001956

I started as being broadly supportive on this and I’ve ended up being sick to the back teeth of the militant moaners. That’s one company out of tens of thousands of UK employers. To suggest it’s indicative of anything that’s being handed out as the norm in the private sector just makes you look daft. It isn’t. All these bleating moaning teachers, train drivers, and postal workers have largely burned any residual goodwill they had. People are sick of hearing about it and are sick of having their lives messed around because if it. 

• Thanks 1

@Steady Eddie

5% to 6% is seeming like the norm in the private sector at the moment, however, that wasn't really the point of linking that article. 

It was to show what a Trade Union can achieve in the private sector and also what a Private business is willing to cough up.

There will be other cases too but probably not grabbing headlines.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Steady Eddie

5% to 6% is seeming like the norm in the private sector at the moment, however, that wasn't really the point of linking that article. 

It was to show what a Trade Union can achieve in the private sector and also what a Private business is willing to cough up.

There will be other cases too but probably not grabbing headlines.

So public sector in the Isle of Man did very well then , 6% for most civil servants & between 8 & 12% for teachers . Good job they’re not in UK!

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

So public sector in the Isle of Man did very well then , 6% for most civil servants & between 8 & 12% for teachers . Good job they’re not in UK!

Nurses were given 4% by Manx Care. Mind you at least they have all the clapping to make them feel warm and cosy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Nurses were given 4% by Manx Care. Mind you at least they have all the clapping to make them feel warm and cosy.

Nurses deserve a raise well before the teachers get anything more.

I doubt anybody could reasonably argue otherwise when you look at the salary, responsibility, hours etc.  not even a greedy teacher 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

Shhhh, don’t upset them.🤫

Hey.  Not so long ago you kept hounding me for an answer to a specific question you had asked whenever I posted anything else had answered it.

I just wondered if you had missed my questions to you a few posts back?

Thanks, and I look forward to you responses.

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-strike-action-is-completely-unreasonable/

It seems Alfy is now considering legislation to end the work to rule. This will be very interesting. How the hell do you legislate against working to rule?

I don't think you can!

A sensible answer might be to update terms and conditions in their contract to include the extra duties not being undertaken. This might not be popular.

If he considers strike-busting there may be serious push back from the public.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

If he considers strike-busting there may be serious push back from the public

If they disclosed the full details of the package they are on now, I really doubt the public would push back against them being told not to strike.

If the public opinion was that they were still being paid as they were two years ago, you might have a point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

If they disclosed the full details of the package they are on now, I really doubt the public would push back against them being told not to strike.

Whether you agree with their strike action or not, surely everyone must be concerned about the possibility of legislation making it illegal to work to rule (as reported). In effect that means that employees have to do whatever their employers tell them to do even if what they are being asked to do isn't within their contract of employment - and all for no extra pay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Whether you agree with their strike action or not, surely everyone must be concerned about the possibility of legislation making it illegal to work to rule (as reported). In effect that means that employees have to do whatever their employers tell them to do even if what they are being asked to do isn't within their contract of employment - and all for no extra pay.

Did he say legislation to work to rule or to stop strikes? Either way it didn't sound like he had much time for them on the moaning line on Friday!

33 minutes ago, Newbie said:

One step away from slavery.

• Like 2