Prices of eating out

Asthehills

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Don't agree with that.  I know it's not a great hardship to do as you say, but if I'm just sitting there I expect that they'll come over to either try to sell more drinks, or ask if we're ready for the bill, rather than swoop past the table with other diners' food seemingly deliberately avoiding eye contact.

It's something I often wondered about. I experience the same annoying thing when looking to pay the bill. It's like you suddenly become invisible. Often the same staff who mcant see you when you want to pay your bill (or order a dessert) can see if you need another bottle of wine. I thought it was just us🤔

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It seems that lots of people in the 'hospitality industry' are not trained. It wouldn't take long to train everybody on how to welcome customers, lay a table, take an order, serve food, attend to customers and arrange payment.

Some of the owner operators don't even do most of that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Long given up on their place in Ramsey. 
Yes food pretty good but service awful.

Even trying to get a drink on arrival is a trial

Often thought of doing a pretend “ runner” to get them to present their bill and pay it once  the meal has been finished. 

It’s a nightmare. If you’re not pro active in trying to pay for your meal you could be stuck there for hours ( well ages anyway)

Thats why we don’t go there anymore 

Had the same experience last time we were there, long wait for service and food, just didn't seem to have enough staff on. I do like the food they produce though so still get a take out occasionally and will definitely give the new place a go when it opens.

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Sure, you can buy the ingredients for much cheaper than that, but you're paying the rent, wages of the staff, heating and lighting etc. etc.

How much would you expect to pay for it in a restaurant?

Just a general observation on prices really. As for that dish, cost price excl overheads £5 max. Add other costs and you get about a tenner cost for the whole thing. Double it for the menu price. I guess shit has just gotten expensive. 

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It seems that lots of people in the 'hospitality industry' are not trained. It wouldn't take long to train everybody on how to welcome customers, lay a table, take an order, serve food, attend to customers and arrange payment.

I think the College still have a course for exactly that. Not sure what the costs are (if any). Might be worth some employers getting their staff up there for some training. 

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think the College still have a course for exactly that. Not sure what the costs are (if any). Might be worth some employers getting their staff up there for some training. 

Better still if trainers came to their place of work and showed them how to do it.

2 hours maximum.

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

There were kids from the course helping out at the lunch at the Government Conference.  As it was buffet service they were mainly collecting finished plates etc.  Though very pleasant they were a bit too keen about it.  As I said it's the sort of thing that only experience can really teach and of course every serving place will be a bit different. 

UCM have a training restaurant, though. with classic government attention to detail, they don't say there where it is or what hours it is open, so I'm not sure how much use it gets to give them experience.

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There were kids from the course helping out at the lunch at the Government Conference.  As it was buffet service they were mainly collecting finished plates etc.  Though very pleasant they were a bit too keen about it.  As I said it's the sort of thing that only experience can really teach and of course every serving place will be a bit different. 

UCM have a training restaurant, though. with classic government attention to detail, they don't say there where it is or what hours it is open, so I'm not sure how much use it gets to give them experience.

The training restaurant advertised last month various dates, meals etc including Xmas lunches. They’re normally sold out very quickly 

https://www.ucm.ac.im/explore-our-campuses/oastan-training-restaurant/

Edited by Banker

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It does say under 'accessibility' that it is on the ground floor of the Homefield Road campus. 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Just a general observation on prices really. As for that dish, cost price excl overheads £5 max. Add other costs and you get about a tenner cost for the whole thing. Double it for the menu price. I guess shit has just gotten expensive. 

I’d be surprised if raw ingredient cost of that dish is £5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

with classic government attention to detail, they don't say there where it is or what hours it is open, so I'm not sure how much use it gets to give them experience

From your link, “Oastan is located on the ground floor of the Homefield Road campus and can be accessed via a ramp up to the main entrance. There are four disabled parking spaces in the main car park. During your visit you’re welcome to visit our toilets on the ground floor.”