Prices of eating out

Asthehills

To me there’s only one thing worse than Indian food. And that’s Indian food eaten at the bottom of a carpark. 

50 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Everyone seems to be bothered about parking and thats sorted in the case of the new  Veliikas in Douglas..Agree that the location isn't great though. You need a designated driver if you plan to drink and then go somewhere else for more .  😞

There's a bus stop on the road immediately outside, for heaven's sake, if you want to West or beyond.  Another one 3 minutes walk round the corner if you want to go South.  And if you want another drink you should be sober enough to cross the road to get a bus back into the town centre.

That said, it's likely to be aimed more at the takeaway market given the location.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's a bus stop on the road immediately outside, for heaven's sake, if you want to West or beyond.  Another one 3 minutes walk round the corner if you want to go South.  And if you want another drink you should be sober enough to cross the road to get a bus back into the town centre.

That said, it's likely to be aimed more at the takeaway market given the location.

People won’t want to do that.

A few points in The Oigeon or the prospect, two minute walk for a curry, then a two minute walk to one of a number of other places for more drinks and a bus or taxi home is preferable.

I can’t see the takeaway market being that big, but time will tell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Given it’s size I’d reckon a mix of eat in/takeaway/delivery.

Name to be Velika’s Kitchen.

It’s closer to the centre of town and the bus station than Summerhill. Very short walk from Pully, or even the Quay.

21 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Different concept for a different market.

Times have changed and a lot of younger folk like the convenience of these places. You only have to look at the other three units nearby to see that. 

It's Indian fast food. You, not unlike me Dave, seem like a guy of a certain age. It might not be for you, but it will appeal to other people, particularly that younger demographic.

These sort of places are frequent and popular in the UK. I'm not saying it will definitely work and it's a bold move, as I'd imagine the rent alone will be very high, but there is definitely a more worldly market for it. Whether that market exists on the Isle of Man remains to be seen. 

From that I’m assuming a street food, a la Yukti or Mowgli, concept/experience. Great concept. Indian tapas.

I’ll certainly go if I can park, and I’ll order delivery on line. Even if I actually eat in I’m happy with Lassi or sherbet,  and no alcohol.

Some of my favourite South Asian places in England are unlicensed. Some charge corkage, and you bring your own. Or choose from a range of soft drinks, especially savoury lassi and sherbets.

• Like 3

I'll certainly be giving it a punt and assuming it's good might be regular.  Often have to grab a take away on a Friday evening on the way home from kids activities. 

So is it going to be bog standard Indian?  Or are they going to go for something a bit more Indian Street/Fast food?  Fingers crossed for stuff like Bhel Puri and Gul Goppa 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

From that I’m assuming a street food, a la Yukti or Mowgli, concept/experience. Great concept. Indian tapas.

I’ll certainly go if I can park, and I’ll order delivery on line. Even if I actually eat in I’m happy with Lassi or sherbet,  and no alcohol.

Some of my favourite South Asian places in England are unlicensed. Some charge corkage, and you bring your own. Or choose from a range of soft drinks, especially savoury lassi and sherbets.

The only concern I have is the quality. 

I like their place in Ramsey but if people are expecting it to match that, I think they'll be in for a shock. Plus it's a new concept for the Isle of Man.

Whenever I've been through them in the UK it's very much fast food standard. I went as I was curious and I probably wouldn't go back to the particular one I did. 

I've worked with a few of these types of concepts too though and one does a brilliant standard of food. He works to a higher price point in fairness but has already moved onto additional outlets. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I'll certainly be giving it a punt and assuming it's good might be regular.  Often have to grab a take away on a Friday evening on the way home from kids activities. 

So is it going to be bog standard Indian?  Or are they going to go for something a bit more Indian Street/Fast food?  Fingers crossed for stuff like Bhel Puri and Gul Goppa 

Haven't seen a menu for it and don't know them, so hard to say. I'd imagine there will be curry and such like with a mix of street food. That's what the other ones I am aware of had, so not certain that will be the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

The only concern I have is the quality. 

I like their place in Ramsey but if people are expecting it to match that, I think they'll be in for a shock. Plus it's a new concept for the Isle of Man.

Whenever I've been through them in the UK it's very much fast food standard. I went as I was curious and I probably wouldn't go back to the particular one I did. 

I've worked with a few of these types of concepts too though and one does a brilliant standard of food. He works to a higher price point in fairness but has already moved onto additional outlets. 

Haven't seen a menu for it and don't know them, so hard to say. I'd imagine there will be curry and such like with a mix of street food. That's what the other ones I am aware of had, so not certain that will be the case. 

Why are you so sure it’s a new concept for the island?

On 10/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, Asthehills said:

New two for £15 lunch menu up north looks good value to be honest.

4A5362C4-CEE9-4003-9C19-A0D31FED353C.jpeg

47F09159-C323-4F73-995A-E97BBAB7D909.jpeg

Yes it looks good value until you try the food.

Went once for lunch, food was  horrible, the service not much better.

Couple of years later thought I’d give it another go. It hadn’t changed.

8 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

To me there’s only one thing worse than Indian food. And that’s Indian food eaten at the bottom of a carpark. 

There’s lots of things worse than Indian food ( wherever eaten) 

Think murderers, rapists, Mac Donald’s, cyclists, Just Stop Oil supporters trans “ activists “ and Liverpool FC to name but a few 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There’s lots of things worse than Indian food ( wherever eaten) 

Think murderers, rapists, Mac Donald’s, cyclists, Just Stop Oil supporters trans “ activists “ and Liverpool FC to name but a few 

I was with you till you dissed LFC …And was brought up on Indian food and love it. In any form apart from regurgitated ! 

Edited by Numbnuts