Prices of eating out

Asthehills

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s the old , and quite correct, argument that most of the cost for a cafe, restaurant is not the cost of the food  but wages , rent, rates insurance etc

Wages are biggest issue just now. Everyone shouting for big pay increases , whilst forgetting pay increases result in higher prices so no one is actually better off 

What boils my piss with the chippy's are, Brown water ie gravy £1.20, Crappy tinned mushy peas £1.20.

In fact all the sundries Cost approx. 10-15 pence per portion ( actual cost most likely 50% less) I know there is overheads but they are just taking the piss £3.50 for a spud chipped and fried, Yes one decent spud is a portion of chips and unless they are having to find them with trained pigs like truffles the cost is astronomical 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What boils my piss with the chippy's are, Brown water ie gravy £1.20, Crappy tinned mushy peas £1.20.

In fact all the sundries Cost approx. 10-15 pence per portion ( actual cost most likely 50% less) I know there is overheads but they are just taking the piss £3.50 for a spud chipped and fried, Yes one decent spud is a portion of chips and unless they are having to find them with trained pigs like truffles the cost is astronomical 

The gas, electric and staff overheads are now astronomical to fry and heat stuff. 

• Like 2

How do Spoons do it?

Pint of Guinness and a 175ml glass of Villa Maria Sauvingnon Blanc, £7.35 tonight. I concede its like the star wars bar but sirloin steak and a pint for £14.40!

Ate at our nicest restaurant last night. Shared bread and manchego, 2 x piri piri chicken and a bottle of house red was 90 quid including service charge 

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

How do Spoons do it?

Pint of Guinness and a 175ml glass of Villa Maria Sauvingnon Blanc, £7.35 tonight. I concede its like the star wars bar but sirloin steak and a pint for £14.40!

Ate at our nicest restaurant last night. Shared bread and manchego, 2 x piri piri chicken and a bottle of house red was 90 quid including service charge 

They buy in huge volumes.

Its pretty basic stuff really.

• Like 1

Sausage x 4 and regular chips at Terrace Chippy £8.10 today. (two of the sausage were for someone else.) Nothing fantastic, the usual formerly frozen sausages and crummy chips. 15p for a flimsy plastic bag too! 

I wonder what the real costs are, and how much is profiteering due to the whole vibe around increased costs? Nobody seems to be trying to be competitive anymore?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Sausage x 4 and regular chips at Terrace Chippy £8.10 today. (two of the sausage were for someone else.) Nothing fantastic, the usual formerly frozen sausages and crummy chips. 15p for a flimsy plastic bag too! 

I wonder what the real costs are, and how much is profiteering due to the whole vibe around increased costs? Nobody seems to be trying to be competitive anymore?

Open a chippy and charge less then.

Be competitive and no doubt the others will all have closed down in a few months and you will have all their customers but still be losing money.

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Open a chippy and charge less then.

Be competitive and no doubt the others will all have closed down in a few months and you will have all their customers but still be losing money.

I have no wish to open a chippy, I was asking a question of those who may know. What I do know is that these things can get a life of their own, forcing inflationary pricing and having a negative effect in the end.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have no wish to open a chippy, I was asking a question of those who may know. What I do know is that these things can get a life of their own, forcing inflationary pricing and having a negative effect in the end.

I do know that Terrace Chippy always has a scutch of staff. Easily dealing with their customers. Good service in there though and mostly nice food . It’s pricey though but so is my leccie bill ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I do know that Terrace Chippy always has a scutch of staff. Easily dealing with their customers. Good service in there though and mostly nice food . It’s pricey though but so is my leccie bill ! 

There are other factors which are crippling businesses - NI on staff, rates and other charges imposed by IOMG which businesses are finding hard to absorb. Businesses could always cut their staffing, but then would businesses pass on the savings to the customers?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not lunch it's dinner. Dinner without wine is like footie without a football.

I'm still no wiser.

🤷

Pretty sure it is still licensed, (had the usual license notice above the door last time I was up there, admittedly a few years now), but don't know if they allow BYO. 

Perhaps give them a call? 

• Thanks 1