Prices of eating out

Asthehills

It’s a fantastic scotch egg but my heart still skips a beat when I see the price. My wife thinks it’s worth it (she used to work here) but I thought it was expensive when it was 9 quid. Gone up since. 

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It’s a fantastic scotch egg but my heart still skips a beat when I see the price. My wife thinks it’s worth it (she used to work here) but I thought it was expensive when it was 9 quid. Gone up since. 

IMG_7955.jpeg

I've got to admit I'm a fan of a gourmet scotch egg and that looks incredible. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

Buy them in M&S just as nice, wine down is the most expensive over rated restaurant around but the well off seem to love it probably because it’s expensive. Bit like the Japanese in Castletown 

Well the quality is good and there are still a lot of people - me included - who don't mind paying for quality. There is a tipping point, though. The 24 quid hake the other day was definitely beyond that. 

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Well the quality is good and there are still a lot of people - me included - who don't mind paying for quality. There is a tipping point, though. The 24 quid hake the other day was definitely beyond that. 

Mine was £11 for 2 small duck spring rolls 

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

Buy them in M&S just as nice, wine down is the most expensive over rated restaurant around but the well off seem to love it probably because it’s expensive. Bit like the Japanese in Castletown 

Disagree on every level.

Every meal I have ever had in there the food has been absolutely top notch, as has the service.

Cant fault the place at all although it is into treat territory with the prices, which in my opinion are perfectly justified.

It also always seems busy.  Saying you can buy the same in M&S for less (you can’t) kind of misses the point of going out for a meal with good company in a nice environment and not needing to worry about anything other than paying the bill.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Disagree on every level.

Every meal I have ever had in there the food has been absolutely top notch, as has the service.

Cant fault the place at all although it is into treat territory with the prices, which in my opinion are perfectly justified.

It also always seems busy.  Saying you can buy the same in M&S for less (you can’t) kind of misses the point of going out for a meal with good company in a nice environment and not needing to worry about anything other than paying the bill.

I don't mind paying for quality but some places take the piss by serving  the same catering  frozen stuff that you can buy at Robinsons 

Spring rolls / samosas from many  Chinese/ Indian  restaurants taste exactly the same  and are definitely the catering  frozen ones. 

Robinson even sell frozen battered/ cooked   pork/ chicken  etc  which goes into many of the dishes . 

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

Can’t really read that, It’s a bit blurred but if I’m right they are offering fried cauliflower florets for £8.50. Cooked in the right spices one of my favourite things. 
I’m always one for pointing out the cost of overheads to sceptics when restaurants price their meals.

But this does seem a bit OTT, like I have recently paid  £8.50 for a baked potato with a mingy  bit of butter and a few scrapings of cheese.

• Like 1

The Wine Down Scotch Egg is hand made with chorizo, M&S is sausage meat made in a factory! No comparison?

However, the price is somewhat alarming? \I'm out of the loop regarding overheads but 11.50 for a starter!!!

Robinsons do Duck spring rolls, not the cheap buffet type but would they make their own??? Perhaps they Ballance the price of bought in spring rolls with labour intensive Scotch Egg??? Yer makes yer choice!!!

It was a Filipino woman taught me to make spring rolls, perhaps Amadeus could expand on that and they really did make their own??? But small? No, 12cm at least?

The overheads have rocketed lately.

17 hours ago, Banker said:

Is it really expensive though? Compare it to little fish, Tacoma, The Shore Laxey, Enzo's, 14 North. Probably cheaper. The starters are big enough to share. The wine is not ridiculously marked up.

You pay for quality freshly cooked food and I don't mind that as a meal out for a special occasion.

If you do a 2 course meal with drinks in a pub now you're not coming away with much change from 40. A decent Indian you're looking at 45 - 50. Wine Down you're only maybe another 10 - 20 on top (dependent on what you eat) and as a treat I'm happy with that - and the food and ambience is streets ahead too.

• Thanks 1

Chippy on Peel seafront (cannot for the life of me remember the name) Lunch time special Small cod and chips with choice beans/peas/curry or gravy £6.50. But must say bring me own bread and butter, as a bap with a smear of marge for 95pence a bit rich for my blood. Sit outside either in the car or tables, view free priceless.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 3