Prices of eating out

Asthehills

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Chippy on Peel seafront (cannot for the life of me remember the name) Lunch time special Small cod and chips with choice beans/peas/curry or gravy £6.50. But must say bring me own bread and butter, as a bap with a smear of marge for 95pence a bit rich for my blood. Sit outside either in the car or tables, view free priceless.

cod n castle ??

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Chippy on Peel seafront (cannot for the life of me remember the name) Lunch time special Small cod and chips with choice beans/peas/curry or gravy £6.50. But must say bring me own bread and butter, as a bap with a smear of marge for 95pence a bit rich for my blood. Sit outside either in the car or tables, view free priceless.

Yes its fantastic. Good chippy. Makes driving al the way to Peel worth it.

Just been exploring “ the food cellar” on the  internet , as run by “ the wine cellar” 

It appears they have a cafe area which sells a selection of wine  on the menu to have with your meal or whatever. A However it states that if you want something different from the wine on the menu you can purchase a bottle of wine  from their wine shop and for a “ nominal” corkage fee of £10 you can drink your selected wine with your food.

So if I’ve got this right you can buy a bottle of wine from them and for £10 extra ( I wouldn’t call £10 “ nominal”!) you can sup it whilst eating the food that you have paid them for.

Seems a bit of a win, win, win for them.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Clarity

4 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

A decent Indian you're looking at 45 - 50. 

Nope - 2 courses plus two drinks is usually between £55 and £65.

It varies between Vellika, Chingans, Royal India, Kurries & Steaks & Aura but ballpark is 55/65

Edited by piebaps

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just been exploring “ the food cellar” on the  internet , as run by “ the wine cellar” 

It appears they have a cafe area which sells a selection of wine  on the menu to have with your meal or whatever. A However it states that if you want something different from the wine on the menu you can purchase a bottle of wine  from their wine shop and for a “ nominal” corkage fee of £10 you can drink your selected wine with your food.

So if I’ve got this right you can buy a bottle of wine from them and for £10 extra ( I wouldn’t call £10 “ nominal”!) you can sup it whilst eating the food that you have paid them for.

The food cellar is excellent. You’d only need to do that if you were incredibly pretentious (and happy to pay an extra £10 to be pretentious). Most of their stock wine is really good. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

4 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

The food cellar is excellent. You’d only need to do that if you were incredibly pretentious (and happy to pay an extra £10 to be pretentious). Most of their stock wine is really good. 

Yes I must try it sometime soon. But I think the £10 is a bit cheeky,whether you’re a pretentious customer or not.

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They’d be daft to do it for less, wouldn’t they?

Otherwise everyone, and their mother, would wander over to the wine retail side to buy a bottle rather than order off the wine list.

On the other hand, £10 corkage markup on a really decent bottle might be a bargain.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’d be daft to do it for less, wouldn’t they?

Otherwise everyone, and their mother, would wander over to the wine retail side to buy a bottle rather than order off the wine list.

On the other hand, £10 corkage markup on a really decent bottle might be a bargain.

But they’re still making their mark up on the retail sale. It’s not like it’s a normal BYO operation where people buy a bottle of wine from Shoprite or  Tesco and waltz in with that.

And I’ve never come across a corkage charge that high.
Maybe we eat at different sorts of restaurants.

54 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Not for the first time, I couldn't agree less.

Thought it was distinctly average, the twice I've been.

45 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But they’re still making their mark up on the retail sale. It’s not like it’s a normal BYO operation where people buy a bottle of wine from Shoprite or  Tesco and waltz in with that.

And I’ve never come across a corkage charge that high.
Maybe we eat at different sorts of restaurants.

You’ve completely missed the point. Why am I not surprised. It’s deterrent pricing.

Theyll have a much bigger markup/profit on the food area wine list than their retail wine shop. A £5 off licence bottle will probably sell for £15 in the cafe. So customers might decide to choose an alternative low cost wine, not on the food area wine list. Losing them the £10 ( well, £8.33 after deducting vat on corkage ). 

That bottle nets them £1 profit in the shop and £9 .33 in the restaurant ( I’ve stripped out the effect of VAT )

Sensible pricing move.

They aren’t going to object if you buy Dom, or a premier grand cru, as their retail margin will already be good enough.

There are some really tight-fisted punters about, who’d chance their arms. Suspect you might be in that category.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

Not for the first time, I couldn't agree less.

Thought it was distinctly average, the twice I've been.

I wasn’t impressed either, trying to copy wine down with high prices. Grand House the Chinese next to British is very good, reasonably priced & BYO with no corkage charges 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

I wasn’t impressed either, trying to copy wine down with high prices. Grand House the Chinese next to British is very good, reasonably priced & BYO with no corkage charges 

The Grand House is pretty decent and very reasonably priced, IMO.

To begin with their service was a bit chaotic but seemed to have settled down the last couple of times I'd been.

Had breakfast this morning at Cafe Villa. Sat in sun, watching the Manxman sail out lopsidedly at 10.10. Their big breakfast was a plateful and a half. £11, plus a priceless view. Three toast, two sausages, two rashers, two eggs, black pudding, hash brown, beans, tomato and mushrooms. Only think that might have improved it would be to swap the toast to potato cakes or fried bread and to cook the pudding more.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Had breakfast this morning at Cafe Villa. Sat in sun, watching the Manxman sail out lopsidedly at 10.10. Their big breakfast was a plateful and a half. £11, plus a priceless view. Three toast, two sausages, two rashers, two eggs, black pudding, hash brown, beans, tomato and mushrooms. Only think that might have improved it would be to swap the toast to potato cakes or fried bread and to cook the pudding more.

You must’ve been hungry as I sometimes struggle to finish their breakfast, I don’t eat Black pudding and get it swapped for hash brown