Prices of eating out

Asthehills

I would have tried to guess the price had I been able to make out what was actually on the plate.

Still, at least it was on a plate rather than a poncy piece of wood or slate that adds nothing to the experience. Except, perhaps, to the bill...

They say "The first bite is with the eye" in which case I would have gone hungry and been grateful for it...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Asthehills said:

New menu at a local pub.

What do we reckon this costs?

Guess away. 

40194206-FB32-4E4C-9108-1124A4485534.jpeg

It doesn't look very appetising or maybe thats just me,  l was taken back by the price what portion of our island can actually afford those prices especially now? They of course have many overhead costs, but even so.

Maybe, for a bit of a challenge l wonder what amazing meal could be produce for just a few pounds!  Just a thought. 

• Like 2

The food hospitality industry on the IoM is poor.  They have got away with serving sub-par, overpriced food for many years, and worst of all they do it with a smile, especially brewery pubs.  We don't even have a 1 star Michelin restaurant on the IoM and, that shows how poor some of the supposedly top restaurants on the IoM perform.  Wales has 3, Scotland 10, England 166, Northern Ireland 9, Jersey 1 and Guernsey 1.  I believe, if the food was quality, people would pay the prices, but unfortunately it's not and the industry only have they themselves to blame.  I have stopped eating out for that very reason. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

The food hospitality industry on the IoM is poor.  They have got away with serving sub-par, overpriced food for many years, and worst of all they do it with a smile, especially brewery pubs.  We don't even have a 1 star Michelin restaurant on the IoM and, that shows how poor some of the supposedly top restaurants on the IoM perform.  Wales has 3, Scotland 10, England 166, Northern Ireland 9, Jersey 1 and Guernsey 1.  I believe, if the food was quality, people would pay the prices, but unfortunately it's not and the industry only have they themselves to blame.  I have stopped eating out for that very reason. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed      

IMO you just can't beat decent fish & chips, when I was a lad in the 60's the Island was replete with decent chippies.

Who really needs Michelin stars? F&C in the car next to the beach - doesn't get much better.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

IMO you just can't beat decent fish & chips, when I was a lad in the 60's the Island was replete with decent chippies.

Who really needs Michelin stars? F&C in the car next to the beach - doesn't get much better.

Not many chippies left now.

Can't afford the fish and chips now.

Can't afford the fuel to get the car to the beach now.

Endgame. 😂

22 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

Very sweeping generalisation. There are several very good eating establishments on the island. Forget the Michelin star point as I don't think that's really a sustainable business on the island, maybe could support one at best.

Lots of negative comments here about brewery pubs but couldn't get in one down south the other week, the ones in Port Erin and Castletown both full. Monday night too. Not even a seat for a drink in the Station.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Lots of negative comments here about brewery pubs but couldn't get in one down south the other week, the ones in Port Erin and Castletown both full. Monday night too. Not even a seat for a drink in the Station.

That’s got more to do with there being literally nowhere else to eat in either Castletown or PE in the evening. Brewery food is overpriced crap and they wouldn’t survive anywhere else in the UK. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

That’s got more to do with there being literally nowhere else to eat in either Castletown or PE in the evening. Brewery food is overpriced crap and they wouldn’t survive anywhere else in the UK. 

Sidings, Viking, Leonardos, Falcon, Bay, Byrons, Garrison, Curry Club, Tuscany off the top of my head?

Others not far out Shore, Andreas, Indian in PSM

You do know the brewery have food pubs in the UK?

• Like 4