Prices of eating out

Asthehills

Is this whole thing not just exactly the same as wine down do? They have a wine list, or you pick any other bottle off the shelf for £10 on top. That's bloody good value. Some places I've seen wine cellar wines at 400% mark up. As John said earlier, £10 on top of retail to drink in is not bad and the more expensive you go the less the % mark up is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re still missing the point.

Theres a world of difference between bringing a bottle from a third party retailer, you clearly weren’t ever going to buy off the restaurant wine list, and walking ten feet to the adjoining retail area to avoid paying the wine list mark up.

As for “last refuges” you started the price sensitive thing, by claiming I ate at more expensive venues than you.

Ive never paid corkage. I really can’t be bothered carting beer or wine around. If I place isn’t licensed I don’t miss alcohol. If the wine list is, in my opinion, too expensive, I don’t buy and I don’t miss.

It’s you who’s coming over parsimonious and sanctimonious. Don’t like their pricing policy, don’t go, or go but don’t buy the alcohol.

No you’re still missing the point. See your second paragraph.

If the restaurant isn’t licensed you can’t buy wine off  the restaurant wine list . It won’t have one, do you understand that? 

If the restaurant is licensed I wouldn’t dream of turning up bottle in hand from the nearest supermarket, expecting them to open it and pour it into glasses.

If the restaurant is licensed you buy your wine from them. Normally a restaurant would advise that they don’t have a license and invite you to bring your own. A corkage charge is not unreasonable but £10 a bottle is more than I’ve ever seen charged.

Furthermore I didn’t claim you ate at more expensive venues than me. I said different.

If you don’t want to pay corkage or don’t pay for wine because you consider the price too expensive no one  ( well certainly not me) is going to damn you for that.

As for commenting on a particular pricing policy,  this is a forum. That what it’s for, an exchange of ideas. It’s neither parsimonious or sanctimonious. It’s not really a battleground or an excuse to be rude to your fellow forum members about

I’ve  never yet not bought a bottle of wine in a restaurant for the reasons you give.

I have made value judgements taking into account the grape variety, country of origin, alcohol content and yes price when selecting from the wine list in a restaurant. 

Happy eating🙂

25 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

You’re not getting Johns point. The Wine Cellar is a wholesale (ish) wine merchant. You’re buying a good bottle at close to wholesale price and paying £10 on top for corkage to have it next door which is probably cheaper than the 100% mark up another restaurant would put on a bottle they sell you. Their standard wine list (without the tenner on top) is perfectly fine too though. But if a bottle is well over £10 it is probably cheaper that way. 

OK 

I have no problem with the concept of corkage.

Its the link between the wine/ food cellar which poses a conundrum.

The “ other place” in Ramsey ( great restaurant  by the way)is not licensed and invites you to bring your own wine. Easily available across the road from Shoprite.

No corkage charge.
 If I ran the place I would charge a “ nominal” fee of say £3-5 pounds which I don’t think anyone would grumble about. But I don’t run the restaurant so it’s up to the owners to make that business decision. 

You say of the Wine Cellar “ you’re buying a good bottle at close to wholesale price” but if you compare their retail against wholesale price ( when you buy 12 bottles or more) it’s about 20% more expensive.

Im not slagging off the wine/ food cellar. Just considering the model in terms of its alcohol sale in the restaurant as you might do in a conversation in the pub.

I am looking forward to trying the food cellar and living in Ramsey, probably driving there and back will only be drinking soft drinks.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK 

The “ other place” in Ramsey ( great restaurant  by the way)is not licensed and invites you to bring your own wine. Easily available across the road from Shoprite.

No corkage charge.
 If I ran the place I would charge a “ nominal” fee of say £3-5 pounds which I don’t think anyone would grumble about. But I don’t run the restaurant so it’s up to the owners to make that business decision. 

You say of the Wine Cellar “ you’re buying a good bottle at close to wholesale price” but if you compare their retail against wholesale price ( when you buy 12 bottles or more) it’s about 20% more expensive.

Im not slagging off the wine/ food cellar. Just considering the model in terms of its alcohol sale in the restaurant as you might do in a conversation in the pub.

I am looking forward to trying the food cellar and living in Ramsey, probably driving there and back will only be drinking soft drinks.

I guess the difference is that the wine cellar £10 charge isn't corkage, its the same as what wine down do i.e. add a £10 mark up on any wine from the shop. The wines on the list will already be marked up to drink in price.

50 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Is this whole thing not just exactly the same as wine down do? They have a wine list, or you pick any other bottle off the shelf for £10 on top. That's bloody good value. Some places I've seen wine cellar wines at 400% mark up. As John said earlier, £10 on top of retail to drink in is not bad and the more expensive you go the less the % mark up is.

You are missing the point.

Oh no, hang on no you aren’t.

Good post.  I don’t think anyone can make it easier to understand 

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK 

No corkage charge.

I think there are very good reasons why there is no license at The Other Place.

You really are completely missing the point here.

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If the restaurant is licensed you buy your wine from them. Normally a restaurant would advise that they don’t have a license and invite you to bring your own. A corkage charge is not unreasonable but £10 a bottle is more than I’ve ever seen charged.

But these are different economic calculations that a business has to make.  Unlicenced food outlets can't make any money on selling alcohol.  So they will price corkage as high as they can, but not so high as to discourage people from bringing their own.  The only revenue/profit they lose will be on any non-alcoholic that aren't drunk instead.

A licenced venue however will want to discourage people from bringing their own alcohol in because selling alcohol will be a big source of revenue.  Some places forbid it and may even not be allowed under the terms of their licence.  But those places that do will charge at least enough to cover the lost profit and general hassle.

A quick google suggests £12-15 is average (and more for sparkling wine), so £10 is actually quite cheap, though in the case of venue that are also wine merchants they will already make some profit on the sale and will perhaps hope to use it to encourage future sales of that particular item to the customer.

2 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Wow, 2 brewery pubs, almost same offer.

their manager in charge of buying onion rings needs sacked at those prices 

although if the large pizza is actually large bit bad offer at Crosby

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

I don’t think that just because the two are under common ownership they have to offer the same products at the same prices at all their outlets.Depends on a load of factors, demographic’s etc

Dynamic  pricing  and all that. Maybe people in Crosby are more careful with their money and have to be persuaded to part with it more than those down south. The sort of people who wouldn’t pay £10 for corkage par example 🙂

• Like 1