Mid life political crisis?

BriT

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And why aren't government, local and central, new builds having solar panels etc as standard?  

How does a government funded reduction in paid for electricity consumption on island help the businesses and individuals then left to carry the cost of MUA through increased pricing as demand drops?

I am not against these things but we need to look at the whole picture.

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

How does a government funded reduction in paid for electricity consumption on island help the businesses and individuals then left to carry the cost of MUA through increased pricing as demand drops?

Decreased demand would help the MUA through the price cap...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Talking about how effective each MHK is can anyone honestly say any MHK has done anything to change things for the better? 

They seem to be getting worse.  Either independently or as a Government as a whole. 

Although this seems to be a global phenomenon to be honest.

I try to be pragmatic about it and think that maybe we just hear more about the bad stuff now and that everyone globally seems to be pissed off with their respective governments.

But with the clowns we’ve got running the circus now, I’m having a really hard time trying to convince myself that any of them could be trusted to look after a cat, yet alone an entire Island nation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Solar panels don't just reduce electricity, but gas.  I really can't see that it is a bad thing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Phantom said:

They seem to be getting worse.  Either independently or as a Government as a whole. 

Although this seems to be a global phenomenon to be honest.

I try to be pragmatic about it and think that maybe we just hear more about the bad stuff now and that everyone globally seems to be pissed off with their respective governments.

But with the clowns we’ve got running the circus now, I’m having a really hard time trying to convince myself that any of them could be trusted to look after a cat, yet alone an entire Island nation.

Not my cats, thank you. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Solar panels don't just reduce electricity, but gas.  I really can't see that it is a bad thing. 

It’s a great thing, if the financial implications for those who don’t have the luxury of having them in the short to medium term can be managed properly.

I wouldn’t trust that lot to manage anything properly.

Just now, Asthehills said:

It’s a great thing, if the financial implications for those who don’t have the luxury of having them in the short to medium term can be managed properly.

I wouldn’t trust that lot to manage anything properly.

Well that aside, you would think the cost of installation during construction would be much less than retrofitting.  Who would turn down having hot water to feed into your heating system.  Had them in a previous house and thought they were great, often the gas boiler wouldn't fire when drawing hot water because of the feed from the panels. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well that aside, you would think the cost of installation during construction would be much less than retrofitting.  Who would turn down having hot water to feed into your heating system.  Had them in a previous house and thought they were great, often the gas boiler wouldn't fire when drawing hot water because of the feed from the panels. 

I have already said it’s a great thing, but we will still need a traditional power station for many years plus have all the MUA debt to service.

I can fully see what normally happens happening here.

Those who have spare cash out in heat pumps and solar and more insulation and save money long term.

Those on benefits or under a certain threshold are subsidised to do the same.

Those in the middle get stung by still needing electricity fed to them in a market where prices are rising due to falling demand.  

Then in 15 years rinse and repeat because the tech people are installing now will be horrifically out of date .

Edited by Asthehills

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Surely the electricity price cap is neutral long term? We pay less now but more in the long term to compensate?

There's a ban on gas and oil boilers in all UK new builds from '25. Hopefully, we will do the same.

Negative, not neutral. Interest etc.

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Daphne's problem isn't "high level virtue signalling", whatever that is, it's that as usual absolutely nothing of any consequence is being done. It's like nobody in IOMGov ever has the stones to actually do anything about energy generation, so budgets get assigned, half-arsed meaningless schemes appear that nobody ever claims from, and then it's 10 years later and fuck all has happened.

If you're going to get 40mil budget for something, bloody well use it. Today. Go build/buy/produce something. No doubt they won't though, and I'll be able to repeat this post word for word (maybe without "Daphne" at the start of it) in another decade.

Think Mrs Caine was saying there that £££ millions have been taken out of/away from the £40m for cost of living crisis subsidy - dunno if that's for heating or what

Mrs Caine also states - if I hear it right - that installation of 20 megawatt + of renewable energy generation in the form of wind & solar is to begin next year

Those of us in favour of renewables can only hope that funding for this isn't also directed elsewhere beforehand, but with this administration you just cannot be confident that they'll deliver on their promises