Mid life political crisis?

BriT

On 10/6/2022 at 1:57 PM, SleepyJoe said:

We won't get renewable/sustainable energy productions systems until the entire board of the MUA is replaced by folks who recognise the importance of change

I'm not sure what it's got to do with the MUA board and even less replacing them would make any discernible difference. Surely such decisions rest with a higher authority. I mean how could the board of an organisation with around £500M debt make decisions about investment. Decisions about investment in renewables can only come from our government working in conjuction with the MUA.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I wonder if people remember the £6000 + Chump change practicing MHKs used to receive to cover out of pocket expenses such a string/sealing wax/stamps/paracetamol

My recollection of this (influenced by the passage of time) is that I did not understand the problem. Anyone running a business for themselves, or even making a tax return, has to do this kind of thing. Invoicing for a few thousand once a year is a trivial problem.

At that time Allinson said/tweeted that he should not need to present an invoice because he was working 24/7 for the electorate. The "24/7" bit is just a phrase - but later I found he was still working as a doctor, and  presumabley being paid for that, and probably being paid more that £6000 per year for that.

But I could be wrong.

• Like 2

I am afraid I don't want to see any MHK leaning against a tree (or any other upright, organic or not) whilst looking whistful.  I want to see MHKs reading and researching, looking envigorated to do something and coming up with some proposals that actually reflect the reality. 

But, that's just me bring picky. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure what it's got to do with the MUA board and even less replacing them would make any discernible difference. Surely such decisions rest with a higher authority. I mean how could the board of an organisation with around £500M debt make decisions about investment. Decisions about investment in renewables can only come from our government working in conjuction with the MUA.

You can see from the recent MUA advert for someone to take on responsibility for renewable energy that there just isn't commitment from the board as a whole, & that's why they need to go

You're quite right that the lead from CoMin - £0.2m in the sustainable bond fund for renewables - is absolutely pitiful, & that's one of the reasons why we are in the current energy mess/disaster situation

The GMP have been criticised for not giving politicians a lead, & now is the time the collective boot was put upon the backsides of those in leading positions to get things moving on sustainable energy

nb. What it has got to do with the MUA board is that they are responsible for energy production

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

I am afraid I don't want to see any MHK leaning against a tree (or any other upright, organic or not) whilst looking whistful.  I want to see MHKs reading and researching, looking envigorated to do something and coming up with some proposals that actually reflect the reality. 

But, that's just me bring picky. 

IMHO, an MHK leaning against a tree is no less photogenic than an MHK manspreading in some sort of Tynwald cosplay, or an MHK standing on a rocky beach gazing out over the horizon, or an MHK donning a bomber jacket and aviator sunglasses in an attempt to imitate Tom Cruise, etc, etc. All of these images are little more than self-promotion shots that MHKs hope will help them to get (re)elected. As I have said in other threads, we often elect people because of their personalities and because we accept that their manifesto ‘policies’ frequently only exist in their imaginations.

In these harshening economic times, the deficiencies of our system are being laid bare for everyone to see. During their term in office, most MHKs will deliver very few of their manifestos’ promises. Nonetheless, they will be handsomely rewarded by the taxpayers for the privilege (playing their part in the 5-year Tynwald ‘drama’) but in reality achieving next to nothing. Is our system fit for purpose in the 21C democracy? Personally, I don’t think so, but as they say, ‘them’s the breaks’. In order to achieve better outcomes, we need political reform.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, code99 said:

IMHO, an MHK leaning against a tree is no less photogenic than an MHK manspreading in some sort of Tynwald cosplay, or an MHK standing on a rocky beach gazing out over the horizon, or an MHK donning a bomber jacket and aviator sunglasses in an attempt to imitate Tom Cruise, etc, etc. All of these images are little more than self-promotion shots that MHKs hope will help them to get (re)elected. As I have said in other threads, we often elect people because of their personalities and because we accept that their manifesto ‘policies’ frequently only exist in their imaginations.

In these harshening economic times, the deficiencies of our system are being laid bare for everyone to see. During their term in office, most MHKs will deliver very few of their manifestos’ promises. Nonetheless, they will be handsomely rewarded by the taxpayers for the privilege (playing their part in the 5-year Tynwald ‘drama’) but in reality achieving next to nothing. Is our system fit for purpose in the 21C democracy? Personally, I don’t think so, but as they say, ‘them’s the breaks’. In order to achieve better outcomes, we need political reform.     

Absolutely agree, with one proviso; individual MHKs cannot deliver their manifesto promises, they need to get others to support them.  If anything, that just underlines the deficiency, and reaffirms the argument for proper party politics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If anything, that just underlines the deficiency, and reaffirms the argument for proper party politics. 

They would still be fighting with each other. Even if there was a single "Doing what's best for the electorate" party there would still be a shambles. What this island needs is a dictator  - I'm  available, but note that I don't work evenings or weekends.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

They would still be fighting with each other. Even if there was a single "Doing what's best for the electorate" party there would still be a shambles. What this island needs is a dictator  - I'm  available, but note that I don't work evenings or weekends.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

You are Daphne and I claim my £5

5 hours ago, code99 said:

The main deficiency of our system at the moment appears to be that the nation is not giving the House of Keys a steer

image.png.630eb444e729035bf34531998ea9c89d.png

[Seasoned political journalist comments on Cannan Economic Plan]

https://bit.ly/3MhFWFY  page 41

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What then are they there for?

The main role of a board of directors is to perform the duties of strategic planning and oversight

Yes. But like I said they have no money so no board would recommend even attempting to borrowing more money as the business is not even viable as it stands. The government must take the lead with decisions that are at Island level of magnitude.