Gas Pipeline & Interconnectors

0bserver

19 minutes ago, AOR said:

To keep the pipeline. we could sell our collective soul to Putin and Co. A soviet Isle of Man would be nicely strategically positioned.

Oh, and we could make a really funny joke or something about renaming Rushen.

We have a red flag and literally everything is government owned and operated. The Government is unaccountable and corruption is rife.

We're almost there. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

it’s only in Russia’s interests to have the pipelines damages.

Why would they blow up the pipeline when all they have to do is turn the tap off. Which they have done - there is only residual gas left in the pipeline (errors and omissions excluded, and the fact that I get all my info. from dubious Internet sources).

10 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Why would they blow up the pipeline when all they have to do is turn the tap off. Which they have done - there is only residual gas left in the pipeline (errors and omissions excluded, and the fact that I get all my info. from dubious Internet sources).

Well quite.  The other interesting thing is that hardly anyone (except the Ukrainians) is blaming Russia.  They're not blaming anyone - which is odd and almost certainly means it was the Americans.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

it’s only in Russia’s interests to have the pipelines damages. 

They've both been shut down already.

If it (probably) is the Russians, it's a warning. It was the same day a new pipeline was commissioned across the Baltic by the Danes, Germans and Poles. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Because destroying the pipeline caused an economic panic/shock to the markets. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Because if they turn off the tap it’s a deliberate political statement. But if it’s damaged and can’t supply then that’s just an unfortunate accident. Equally it sends out a message to everyone else about how vulnerable undersea cables and pipes are. 

53 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Because destroying the pipeline caused an economic panic/shock to the markets. 

TV schedulers do this deliberately from time to time but I’m loving ITV player re running the 1980s satirical series “Whoops Apocalypse” currently. It’s rarely dated at all how crazy these sort of escalations to the end of the world are. The topless newsreaders are quite good too. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite.  The other interesting thing is that hardly anyone (except the Ukrainians) is blaming Russia.  They're not blaming anyone - which is odd and almost certainly means it was the Americans.  

Interesting actually this report from Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/sabotage-what-we-know-about-the-nord-stream-gas-leaks-and-who-was-behind-them-12706930

Suggesting that with these two currently unused pipelines down the only other route into Europe is now via the pipeline of Ukrainian energy firm Naftogaz who have just been threatened with sanctions by Russia. It looks like a fight to control the entry point into the EU for Russian gas. 

Edited by Newsdesk

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

Interesting actually this report from Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/sabotage-what-we-know-about-the-nord-stream-gas-leaks-and-who-was-behind-them-12706930

Suggesting that with these two currently unused pipelines down the only other route into Europe is now via the pipeline of Ukrainian energy firm Naftogaz who have just been threatened with sanctions by Russia. It looks like a fight to control the entry point into the EU for Russian gas. 

Yes that's a good piece. Doesn't explain why the Russians would blow up their own pipelines though.  The logic for most advocating this seems to be: The Russians are bad / Blowing up things is bad / Therefore the Russians did it.

But even if they did it 'to prove they can', why blow up both of them?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes that's a good piece. Doesn't explain why the Russians would blow up their own pipelines though. 

It doesn’t explain that. It strongly suggests that the US did it to divert all gas supply into the EU through a Ukrainian controlled pipeline. It feels like some sort of commercial end game. If they want to continue to supply the EU with gas they now have to pay a Ukrainian gas pipeline operator to do it. 

28 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

It doesn’t explain that. It strongly suggests that the US did it to divert all gas supply into the EU through a Ukrainian controlled pipeline. It feels like some sort of commercial end game. If they want to continue to supply the EU with gas they now have to pay a Ukrainian gas pipeline operator to do it. 

Up to 80% of Russian gas to Europe used to pass through the pipelines running through Ukraine. The UKrainians don’t produce enough gas of their own to meet domestic supply. They used to buy from Russia. Since 2014 they buy the gas from Western Europeans who’ve purchased it from Russia.

There are other pipelines, through Turkey and the Balkans and Greece and on to Italy in use or in process of being constructed, or planned.

• Like 1