Isle of Man or Guernsey

ina

Hi there ,I am  new to this website . I have been offered a job , I can choose between iom or Guernsey. Salaries are same , which would be better in terms of more of a stable country and reputation. I have never been to both these places .any inputs are  welcome . 

(Serious post)

I understand the modern trend of not bothering with capitalization even with proper nouns but why do so for Guernsey but not Man?

If you decide to come to the Isle of Man I will happily give you a fee lesson in basic English spelling.

Edited by AOR
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, AOR said:

(Serious post)

I understand the modern trend of not bothering with capitalization even with proper nouns but why do so for Guernsey but not Man?

If you decide to come to the Isle of Man I will happily give you a fee lesson in basic English spelling.

Fee lesson? Like it. How much do you charge?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ina said:

Hi there ,I am  new to this website . I have been offered a job , I can choose between iom or Guernsey. Salaries are same , which would be better in terms of more of a stable country and reputation. I have never been to both these places .any inputs are  welcome . 

Depends. IOM is bigger geographically so if you like scenery and walks etc come here. Guernsey has warmer weather. IOM has a free healthcare system, Guernsey is essentially private - probably ok if you’re in a job that insures you. 

Cost of living, and getting off island probably the same. Reputation and stability from an international perspective probably the same - don’t necessarily listen to some on here who state everything we do is bad, everything the Channel Islands does is great. 

I’ve never been to Guernsey, but I’ve been to it’s larger neighbour Jersey which I think has a similar outlook. Personally I’d pick Isle of Man. 

Housing costs are much higher in Guernsey. The weather advantage is not huge. It really is vey small. On the Isle of Man we complain about the air and ferry services, they do that in Guernsey also. There a fewer sailings/flights direct GSY to UK. Some via JSY, but that makes it a long trip.

@wrightyhas summarised the main differences.

In part it might depend where you are originally from and how often you might want to go back to see family. Which areas of UK/UK airports give you the best connections.

• John Wright changed the title to Isle of Man or Guernsey

I live in Dubai right now ,I am an Indian citizen. Are there Indians living and working in the island? Also is there any sort of racism etc to other nationalities who are not from the west ? I only need to go once a year to dubai that's it .

Edited by ina

33 minutes ago, wrighty said:

IOM is bigger geographically so if you like scenery and walks etc come here

We went to Guernsey on the airbridge during lockdown and I was amazed how much smaller it was. It's about the tenth of the size. Isn't there also a maximum speed limit of 35mph? Saw lots of fast cars and bikes that would roar off in first and then bumble along. 

28 minutes ago, ina said:

I live in Dubai right now ,I am an Indian citizen. Are there Indians living and working in the island? Also is there any sort of racism etc to other nationalities who are not from the west ? I only need to go once a year to dubai that's it .

The island is much more ethnically and culturally diverse now than it was even 20 years ago. It’s certainly much more inclusive. But there’s always more to do to increase acceptance of diversity, and there are always idiots who say/do hateful or offensive things.

Yes. There are Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, English, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Poles, Bulgarians, French, South Africans, Philippinos, Turks, Chinese, and dozens of other nationalities.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The island is much more ethnically and culturally diverse now than it was even 20 years ago. It’s certainly much more inclusive. But there’s always more to do to increase acceptance of diversity, and there are always idiots who say/do hateful or offensive things.

Yes. There are Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, English, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Poles, Bulgarians, French, South Africans, Philippinos, Turks, Chinese, and dozens of other nationalities.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it .if I may as what are the difference Isle of Man and The Channel Islands , when I went through some posts , people complaining about the government etc .. is one island more developed or more seen as a better jurisdiction than the other when it comes to governance? Just take these questions from someone who has never been there and I am not finding much information from the internet other than some basic info.

32 minutes ago, ina said:

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it .if I may as what are the difference Isle of Man and The Channel Islands , when I went through some posts , people complaining about the government etc .. is one island more developed or more seen as a better jurisdiction than the other when it comes to governance? Just take these questions from someone who has never been there and I am not finding much information from the internet other than some basic info.

People complain about the government, everywhere. Guernsey is much smaller physically and has a smaller population ( 65,000 against 85,000 ). Jersey is still small but has a population around 100,000.

Whether the government of Guernsey is less or more incompetent than the Isle of Man - who knows. Likewise with Jersey.

Like any small place they each have their own way of doing things. Many people claim this consists of money/jobs for the boys and brushing things under the carpet and fiscal and other incompetencies. For the most part I don’t think it’s deliberate corruption, just that the information leaks out in a small place and is more widely known than in the UK.

I’ve no idea whether there’s a similar forum to this for Guernsey. 

How long are you thinking of staying in this job? If it’s relatively short term governance is unlikely to be an issue.

Both IoM and Guernsey are developed first world democracies with sophisticated developed economies. They’ve each got their own good and bad points.

I think you’ll find housing more of a problem, availability and cost wise, long term, in Guernsey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, woolley said:

What do you do? If you're a doctor, come here and come quick. If you're a government administrator, for God's sake go to Guernsey.

What happens if Ina is a Director of Public Health? Foot in both camps?