Isle of Man or Guernsey

ina

Just now, ina said:

No , I work in the finance industry, trading stocks , forex and futures .

My post wasn’t aimed at you. Was in reply to woolley. We are short of health service staff ( so are GSY, JSY, and UK ), and the common public perception is we have a bloated civil service ( same perception in GSY, JSY, and UK ).

However your profession may put you in the frame of public hatred after the last week.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My post wasn’t aimed at you. Was in reply to woolley. We are short of health service staff ( so are GSY, JSY, and UK ), and the common public perception is we have a bloated civil service ( same perception in GSY, JSY, and UK ).

However your profession may put you in the frame of public hatred after the last week.

What did u mean by public hatred after the last week ?? Did u mean stock market being down ?

The impression I've got from interacting with our Guernsey office is that it's quite parochial. More so than the IOM. Guernsey is one big village, with village quirks, whereas the IOM is a small nation with a distinct culture, it's own Quirks, but with towns and villages with distinct identity.

3 hours ago, Declan said:

The impression I've got from interacting with our Guernsey office is that it's quite parochial. More so than the IOM. Guernsey is one big village, with village quirks, whereas the IOM is a small nation with a distinct culture, it's own Quirks, but with towns and villages with distinct identity.

What about the Qualtroughs and Kelly's...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Declan said:

This is an interesting point ..

I couldn’t take a job in another country without actually scoping the area out first, so that would be my advice, IOM and Guernsey definitely have some differences, what they are and how they effect you will largely depend on you.

With regards to racial abuse, it’s almost non existent, but it’s worth bearing in mind that you might be told to piss off back to where you’ve came from if people don’t like what you say about the island, but that also happens if you're white and English, it’s more about being non Manx born than anything else.

One question that might be worth asking which country is likely to survive better in a financial crisis? we currently get very little support from our Government.

Edited by Annoymouse

16 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I couldn’t take a job in another country without actually scoping the area out first, so that would be my advice, IOM and Guernsey definitely have some differences, what they are and how they effect you will largely depend on you.

With regards to racial abuse, it’s almost non existent, but it’s worth bearing in mind that you might be told to piss off back to where you’ve came from if people don’t like what you say about the island, but that also happens if you're white and English, it’s more about being non Manx born than anything else.

One question that might be worth asking which country is likely to survive better in a financial crisis? we currently get very little support from our Government.

Yeh I am planning to visit both places before finalizing.. you said you get very little support from the government.. are channel Islands more strong in terms of economy and financial power ..I am asking this because I work in financial sector. A country with more financial stability is always a plus point .

On 10/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Declan said:

Funnily enough I was talking to someone in Guernsey yesterday and following reading this and comparing the Isles, I mentioned the 'one big village' analogy and they agreed wholeheartedly. 

On 10/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, quilp said:

And we have faeries, who live in expensive little houses with their own bridge where you must doff your cap and acknowledge them as you drive over it otherwise your car might break down or crash.

Honest...

Malicious little bastards. 

10 hours ago, ina said:

Yeh I am planning to visit both places before finalizing.. you said you get very little support from the government.. are channel Islands more strong in terms of economy and financial power ..I am asking this because I work in financial sector. A country with more financial stability is always a plus point .

To be honest, working in the Financial Sector, you want as little involvement or 'support' from the Govt as possible, as this will invariably lead to just more red tape.

Comparing the Isles, I have heard it said before that they each have their niche (partially to avoid stepping on each other's toes).

Jersey is all about banking.

Guernsey is insurance and fund management 

Isle of Man is more general business/trading.  Hence the e-gaming, yachts and aircraft etc managed from here are mainly to do with VAT.  

Personally I'd say that the IOM is more stable and preferable to Guernsey.  Compared to Jersey it's a closer run thing.  The Channel Islands are too close to France.  They were threatened with shutting off their power over fishing rights recently! 

Guernsey has a milder climate and is quite a lot more "rural", which has its advantages and disadvantages.

As others have mentioned, the key issue would be if you have housing included. 

The Isle of Man has fairly frequent direct access to Heathrow/Gatwick for flights to Dubai/India.

30 minutes ago, Mikimoto said:

Guernsey has a milder climate and is quite a lot more "rural", which has its advantages and disadvantages.

As others have mentioned, the key issue would be if you have housing included. 

The Isle of Man has fairly frequent direct access to Heathrow/Gatwick for flights to Dubai/India.

I suppose it depends how you define rural. But IoM has much more rural and countryside than Jersey & Guernsey added together 

On 10/4/2022 at 2:07 PM, Annoymouse said:

What is your qualification to state that racial abuse is almost non existent? Do you have personal experience? 

Homophobia and ableism are certainly alive and well. As for racism ( and not just because of skin colour - but also religion and nationality and spoken English ) it seems to be alive and well from court reports. And they’re just the exposed tip of the ice berg.