Isle of Man or Guernsey

ina

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What is your qualification to state that racial abuse is almost non existent? Do you have personal experience? 

Homophobia and ableism are certainly alive and well. As for racism ( and not just because of skin colour - but also religion and nationality and spoken English ) it seems to be alive and well from court reports. And they’re just the exposed tip of the ice berg.

What court reports?

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What is your qualification to state that racial abuse is almost non existent? Do you have personal experience? 

Homophobia and ableism are certainly alive and well. As for racism ( and not just because of skin colour - but also religion and nationality and spoken English ) it seems to be alive and well from court reports. And they’re just the exposed tip of the ice berg.

I’ve not seen or witnessed anything amounting to serious racial abuse in recent years, certainly not to the extent people are driven out of their jobs/their homes or shouted random abuse or spat at down the street (certainly not in the last 10-15 years or so anyway) 

I’ve worked with people from all backgrounds and the only truly racist people I’ve met in that time have been the majority (but certainly not all) South Africans, it’s almost accepted that they’re racist, but it’s definitely on the basis that it’s their issue, nobody is in agreement with them and we wish they’d leave that nonsense behind in their homeland.

The last two consultants I’ve seen were Indian, they spent more time explaining things than any of the previous English consultants, one of which I’ve been close to putting a complaint in because of how rude they’ve been, which reminds me, rather than send a complaint I’ll send praise towards the last two consultants who were extremely helpful.

I have witnessed racism in a care home towards staff, again it’s sort of accepted that old folk are more inclined to be racist because they haven’t been brought up in a multi cultural environment, again it’s on the basis it’s their issue, they’re generally hushed at to keep quiet and their kids can’t apologise on behalf of them quick enough.

But racism whilst working in a gaming or finance company? Nope, not a chance, they’d be excluding half the workforce including management.

An important thing to note here is integration, integrating within the community is absolutely key, that’s the difference between being welcomed or rejected, regardless of where you come from

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:52 AM, Passing Time said:

What court reports?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/courts/racist-abuse-could-lead-to-jail-567507?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3uFp3NIQ_F5A8fHX1aVYY-XxV3zWmDw5pwCWbdqAU-yxvJUXWGIVQuyeI#Echobox=1665590750

It’s a common aggravating factor  in affray and provoking behaviour cases, every week. Lots of it not directly reported. But I sit through these courts ( and interviews at police stations ) when I’m duty advocate.

Two weeks ago there was someone who’d shouted to three lads that they were gay and he’d knife them.

I could go on, and on.

In the wake of Stu's notorious BLM interview , I remember meeting a good friend who was a bit shaken by a conversation he'd just had in the street after work, where someone he knew "good-naturedly" racially abused him about marrying his wife, telling him that he shouldn't have been allowed to marry her because he wasn't white. Bafflingly she's actually of mixed-race background, but it struck me then that after hearing what was said in Stu's interview, this was exactly what privilege was, that I would never have to go through that kind of conversation on the streets of Douglas, and that I didn't face daily challenges like that on top of the worst kind of bias and abuse. You'd like to think that we are a much more modern and integrated society than we ever have been, but particularly from the older generations, those disgusting and blinkered attitudes are still festering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, ina said:

Hi there ,I am  new to this website . I have been offered a job , I can choose between iom or Guernsey. Salaries are same , which would be better in terms of more of a stable country and reputation. I have never been to both these places .any inputs are  welcome . 

If I were you I’d avoid both and head for the UK. Lots of finance jobs there. Guernsey and the Isle of Man are ok but very boring to live in. Try London.