Victoria street roadworks

Amadeus

12 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

What exactly was the point of the works? The lights etc worked fine

Take your pick (or shovel)

• Profit for a Chinese quarry, the transnational freight companies and hauliers, Steam Packet, local hauliers, local paviour-laying contractors. Plus all of the sales reps, wholesalers and designers in private and public office.

All so you can walk,cycle or roll quickly past the shops on Duke St (that you never frequent) from the shops on Strand St past M&S (that you never frequent) between where you wanted shop and the only parking space or bus stop nearby. With nary a glance at the shops on Victoria Street (that you never frequent). All the while ignoring the empty shops and tat.

Or possibly to make way for the thousands of tourists and mega-cruise ship passengers hoofing it from the Sea Terminal, or Steam Railway to their hotels via Strand Street as they drop wads of cash along the way whilst quietly wondering why it'd taken so long to rtecover form the Blitz.

But I suspect the real reason is so we can marvel at the ineptitude when some 3rd party utility comes along, digs up and relays the paviours in some random pattern with the former yellow lines making a new hieroglyphic mural instead. Possibly by Christmas 2023 (if they finsih it by then)

God forbid we use plain black tarmac and a bit of paint that is easy to maintain.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:23 PM, 0bserver said:

To create a flat crossing got pedestrians to replace the former crossing that was flat. 

This is the same DOI that devotes its time and our money to creating pointless crap like this outside the Sefton. Totally pointless and unenforceable in every way. 

8CC55545-A552-4DD5-A189-07B95336BDED.jpeg

the works on the East Quay in Peel are exactly the same , loss of most ,if not all of the  parking spaces on the quay , great wide pavement  in pink slabs on the north side  that very few pedestrians will never walk on ,  as most people like to walk on the harbour side and look at the boats  the road is so narrow now ,and nowhere for visiting coaches to park anymore absolutely ruined the character of the place , I recon before the works are completed in late April or May  , the works will have gone way over budget , and the question that really needs asking , is were they really  required  of is this just another nice to have vanity  project  that will do nothing ,only remove vital parking and access  to businesses  on  a busy traditional Manx quayside  ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the works on the East Quay in Peel are exactly the same , loss of most ,if not all of the  parking spaces on the quay , great wide pavement  in pink slabs on the north side  that very few pedestrians will never walk on ,  as most people like to walk on the harbour side and look at the boats  the road is so narrow now ,and nowhere for visiting coaches to park anymore absolutely ruined the character of the place , I recon before the works are completed in late April or May  , the works will have gone way over budget , and the question that really needs asking , is were they really  required  of is this just another nice to have vanity  project  that will do nothing ,only remove vital parking and access  to businesses  on  a busy traditional Manx quayside  ,

Definitely NOT needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

...and the question that really needs asking , is were they really  required  of is this just another nice to have vanity  project  that will do nothing ,only remove vital parking and access  to businesses  on  a busy traditional Manx quayside  ,

Absolutely not needed. Local residents and businesses pointed out and complained about the parking issue; they were ignored as usual.

Same as the Market Place "regeneration - unneeded and resulted in a reduction in parking. It also ruined the character of the area, not to mention the disruption to local businesses that took a long time to recover from. 

At least they gave up on (or was it only put on hold?) the idiotic parking removal scheme in Michael Street and Athol Place where they wanted to replace valuable parking spaces with "rain forests". Yes, really. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BriT said:

This is the same DOI that devotes its time and our money to creating pointless crap like this outside the Sefton. Totally pointless and unenforceable in every way. 

8CC55545-A552-4DD5-A189-07B95336BDED.jpeg

Seems very clear to me and not pointless at all, and absolutely enforceable. It's to stop people parking there. If there wasnt a sign some prat in a van would park there and then disappear for a few weeks. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Seems very clear to me and not pointless at all, and absolutely enforceable. It's to stop people parking there. If there wasnt a sign some prat in a van would park there and then disappear for a few weeks. 

So they have a traffic warden monitoring it every 1 minute or every day then? 😂😂

4 minutes ago, BriT said:

So they have a traffic warden monitoring it every 1 minute or every day then? 😂😂

I dont believe so. But if someone parks there and the sensible traffic warden comes along. Ideally he would have a look around and see if anyone is actually loading or dropping off. Maybe ask the reception. If the vehicle is left with no sign of loading, give them a minute. Then book them. Duly enforced.

Do you understand what enforce means. It doesnt mean everyone that parks there gets booked. It means everyone that is caught parking there gets booked. 

• Haha 1

Loading or unloading in less than one minute? By the time I have switched off the engine, released the seat belt, turned my aged body around to make sure there are no lycra louts approaching, opened the door and stepped out, several minutes have elapsed.

Whoever thinks a wait time of a minute is sensible is defiantly short of a few brain cells. Probably works for the DoI.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I dont believe so. But if someone parks there and the sensible traffic warden comes along. Ideally he would have a look around and see if anyone is actually loading or dropping off. Maybe ask the reception. If the vehicle is left with no sign of loading, give them a minute. Then book them. Duly enforced.

By the time you’ve parked there, turned the engine off, walked round to the back of your van, and opened the doors your minute would be up. If you then took a heavy item from your van and delivered it to the Sefton reception and got it signed for and then returned to your van and closed the doors and got back in again that would probably make it 5 minutes at least making this the stupidest f**king sign I’ve ever seen in my life. But no doubt it kept some utter talentless clown in the DOI busy for a few weeks planning it out and having it installed. 

• Like 3