Victoria street roadworks

Amadeus

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Loading or unloading in less than one minute? By the time I have switched off the engine, released the seat belt, turned my aged body around to make sure there are no lycra louts approaching, opened the door and stepped out, several minutes have elapsed.

Whoever thinks a wait time of a minute is sensible is defiantly short of a few brain cells. Probably works for the DoI.

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

By the time you’ve parked there, turned the engine off, walked round to the back of your van, and opened the doors your minute would be up. If you then took a heavy item from your van and delivered it to the Sefton reception and got it signed for and then returned to your van and closed the doors and got back in again that would probably make it 5 minutes at least making this the stupidest f**king sign I’ve ever seen in my life. But no doubt it kept some utter talentless clown in the DOI busy for a few weeks planning it out and having it installed. 

Yeah. The minute thing is a bit weird. I guess it's making a point. As I said in my post, common sense is required. 

Maybe they will start doing parking discs with minutes instead of hours. 

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

the works on the East Quay in Peel are exactly the same , loss of most ,if not all of the  parking spaces on the quay , great wide pavement  in pink slabs on the north side  that very few pedestrians will never walk on ,  as most people like to walk on the harbour side and look at the boats  the road is so narrow now ,and nowhere for visiting coaches to park anymore absolutely ruined the character of the place , I recon before the works are completed in late April or May  , the works will have gone way over budget , and the question that really needs asking , is were they really  required  of is this just another nice to have vanity  project  that will do nothing ,only remove vital parking and access  to businesses  on  a busy traditional Manx quayside  ,

They do it like this because seemingly Treasury won't approve any works that are just maintenance. It all has to be fancy (unneeded) redesigns.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. The minute thing is a bit weird. I guess it's making a point. As I said in my post, common sense is required. 

I don't have much time for the DOI but this sign is OK. 

It is NOT a loading /unloading area. 

It is intended that you can pull up to drop off or pick up a passenger. Literally stopping for a minute or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I dont believe so. But if someone parks there and the sensible traffic warden comes along. Ideally he would have a look around and see if anyone is actually loading or dropping off. Maybe ask the reception.

It would take a traffic warden more than 60 seconds to do such a check making the entire process completely futile. So you’re suggesting that this is lay-by is constantly monitored and that anyone who spends over 60 seconds parked there is issued with a £60 fine? You must work for the DOI to not see how unbelievably moronic this sign is.

3 hours ago, emesde said:

It is NOT a loading /unloading area. 

Are there yellow lines there? The Highway Code section on yellow lines is:

"Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. "

36 minutes ago, BriT said:

It would take a traffic warden more than 60 seconds to do such a check making the entire process completely futile. So you’re suggesting that this is lay-by is constantly monitored and that anyone who spends over 60 seconds parked there is issued with a £60 fine? You must work for the DOI to not see how unbelievably moronic this sign is.

I dont work for the DOI. The sign is mildly amusing. I couldn't get that upset about it. Life goes on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I dont believe so. But if someone parks there and the sensible traffic warden comes along. Ideally he would have a look around and see if anyone is actually loading or dropping off. Maybe ask the reception. If the vehicle is left with no sign of loading, give them a minute. Then book them. Duly enforced.

Do you understand what enforce means. It doesnt mean everyone that parks there gets booked. It means everyone that is caught parking there gets booked. 

You really think a warden is going to make enquiries at reception for a one minute enforcement? 

I would propose, in addition to 'yellow' lines, a 'Red' line marking meaning absolutely 'NO Parking' for whatever reason, for however long!

That sign by the Sefton, they and the other caterers have rear entry ( excuse me!) which can be used for deliveries ( excuse me again!), so is there any need for prom stopping for deliveries??? The roads have been narrowed enough without vans further disrupting the flow when there are alternative delivery modes?

Perhaps in a thousand years time when we are all selfless in our parking, the rules could be revoked???