Victoria street roadworks

Amadeus

12 minutes ago, quilp said:

Refused to move when the workers (sic) turned up to start ☺️

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/protests-mean-taxi-rank-stays-567173

It’s great to see that the DOI had a clear plan for all of this before they commenced work isn’t it? 😂 They’re right the alternative taxi rank is too small and would have been costing them trade. But the DOI won’t even have considered how other people are supposed to make a living while they fuck everything up for half a year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s great to see that the DOI had a clear plan for all of this before they commenced work isn’t it?

The DoI have a plan. They are going to run a minibus dial-a-ride service between the taxi rank and where the taxis are parked. Not many people could come up with that kind of blue-sky green-field thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The DoI have a plan. They are going to run a minibus dial-a-ride service between the taxi rank and where the taxis are parked. Not many people could come up with that kind of blue-sky green-field thinking.

Prime opportunity for the monorail. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

See they don't give a shit that delivery drivers now can't park.

I noticed that. Angry Mike happy that they've suspended the loading bay so hard working individuals can't do their jobs

Also, if it's such a busy rank, taxis should be zipping in and out and there shouldn't be a need to queue back so far surely? Taxi in, taxi out.

Pretty sure the regs state if a rank is full you move on, not extend it by stopping wherever you want.

Edited by yorik
Extra bit
  • Like 1

Spent an interesting 20 mins or so waiting for someone on Victoria St earlier. In that time I don't think a single taxi from the front of the rank picked anyone up and left. Several left from the middle, so are they just using it as a parking area while they're waiting for bookings? Only picking up from the front of the rank on rare occasions.

I thought they needed to have the full length of Vic St because people were falling over themselves to get into the cabs

31 minutes ago, yorik said:

Spent an interesting 20 mins or so waiting for someone on Victoria St earlier. In that time I don't think a single taxi from the front of the rank picked anyone up and left. Several left from the middle, so are they just using it as a parking area while they're waiting for bookings? Only picking up from the front of the rank on rare occasions.

I thought they needed to have the full length of Vic St because people were falling over themselves to get into the cabs

I've noticed that often happens when there's a 'do you take card?' Conversation.