Victoria street roadworks

Amadeus

54 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I've noticed that often happens when there's a 'do you take card?' Conversation.

Didn't look like there was anyone working their way up the rank.

They were blocking out the disabled bays waiting to join the rank as well.

Funny that they take issue with people stopping in the rank but get pissed off if you call them out on that.

"I'll move if someone asks me to" "I'm asking you to" "Oh, but we always stop here, the police don't mind"

43 minutes ago, yorik said:

Funny that they take issue with people stopping in the rank but get pissed off if you call them out on that.

"I'll move if someone asks me to" "I'm asking you to" "Oh, but we always stop here, the police don't mind"

I've noticed they often block the pavement crossing just down from Colbourns whilst they sit in the side lane waiting for a space on the rank.

1 hour ago, yorik said:

"But I mind and I'm disabled" 

They annoy the crap out of me, everyone with a right to park there has to suffer while they sit on their fat arse as far as they are concerned. I may test the police attitude to it next time! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

"But I mind and I'm disabled" 

They annoy the crap out of me, everyone with a right to park there has to suffer while they sit on their fat arse as far as they are concerned. I may test the police attitude to it next time! 

I wouldn’t waste your time if I were you Max, police are worse than useless in responding to anything other than anything cannabis related…

• Like 2

10 hours ago, finlo said:

As the pub trade declines year on year I'd think most of them are on borrowed time.

I've wondered about that ...Maybe they get more work at the weekend but during the day most of them don't even do 1 trip an hour .

I have a feeling that their nett earn after expenses etc will be well below minimum wage.

57 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I've wondered about that ...Maybe they get more work at the weekend but during the day most of them don't even do 1 trip an hour .

I have a feeling that their nett earn after expenses etc will be well below minimum wage.

Deregulate the lot and bring in Uber. 

If they're short of cash they can get a Bus Vannin job.

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The fares are set by government so what do you want them to do?  It’s a breach of their license to charge you less 

That’s a complete fallacy. The RTLC set the maximum fare not the minimum fare. All the taxi companies have an agreement not to charge under the maximum fare so as not to undercut each other. 

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

That’s a complete fallacy. The RTLC set the maximum fare not the minimum fare. All the taxi companies have an agreement not to charge under the maximum fare so as not to undercut each other. 

So it's an anti-competition cartel then? There's a surprise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Asthehills said:

The fares are set by government so what do you want them to do?  It’s a breach of their license to charge you less 

is'int  it the maximum fares that are set by government ,?  and can they not charge below that set by government , I regularly use  taxis , to get from town to upper Douglas , in the last few months I have been charged a different price for the same journey ,   I now look out for the taxi driver who  gives value , 

10 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

It’s how it works though. The biggest problem is the RTLC doing the fare settling if they were binned off it would be a free market. 

That makes no sense.  If the RTLC stopped setting a maximum then the cartel would simply be free to put the prices up even more.  If they're not operating a free market now, they certainly won't if you remove more restrictions.

• Like 1