10% pay rise nonsense

DNWIFOG

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

I read some of Labour's "Stronger Together" stuff. Pretty decent and very broad brush which is only to be expected. If I was in the Labour Party I would be keeping my powder very dry indeed ie don't give the tories any leverage while they tear themselves apart is the only sensible option.
When Thick Lizzy finished her "speech" the £ lost another percentage point and two year fixed rate mortgages hit 6%. She and Kamikwasi are totally to blame for more expensive mortgages but is there any mention of this in the UK right wing press which is to say pretty much all of it? Strangely not...

@SleepyJoe what do you base this on? Thanks.

"I think the LibDems are leap years ahead of Starmer on policy, & the case for a 'Brexit Upgrade' with some form of return to the single market will have enormous support"

I wonder if Andy Burnham would be interested in the top UK job?

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I wonder if Andy Burnham would be interested in the top UK job?

I think Andy has more sense , he was however an excellent labour  health and social care minister  , and very supportive of the isle of `man  when some muppets in Tynwald and DhSS  were making rumblings about withdrawing from the  UK  IOM reciprocal    health agreement , 

had that happened , the Isle of Man would really be right up sh-t creek now , 

he is  very well thought of in Manchester ,and who would want the hassle and backbiting of trying to whip the labour party  with its many factions and unruly unions into place , to become the next UK government ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I think Andy has more sense , he was however an excellent labour  health and social care minister  , and very supportive of the isle of `man  when some muppets in Tynwald and DhSS  were making rumblings about withdrawing from the  UK  IOM reciprocal    health agreement , 

I met him at an event in the UK a few years ago. He’s one of the most genuine people you can meet for a politician. You get the impression he likes the job he has as he can make a difference on his doorstep. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, DNWIFOG said:

These are the people who should understand this concept. But no, greed is all pervading. The worst offenders are the trade union ‘professionals’. 

So, employers are not greedy or not as greedy? Employers should have all the power to set wages and working conditions? Workers should be at the mercy of management and rely on their goodwill? Management never fails to deserve that reliance? 

Or workers shouldn't be represented by experts who do it all the time? They should somehow try to represent each other while doing their job at the same time and not being sacked for making trouble?

The sad part of this situation is that management and their supporters have convinced many workers that unions are bad, despite the fact that unions could increase their incomes and improve their quality of life.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, doc.fixit said:

But Labour don't seem to have any credible policies either.

Could be. But being less likely to tank the economy to the tune of £65 billion within a week of taking over would make them a credible alternative.

• Like 2