Local bartender wins international award

jackwhite

Young Drew Fleming who is the general manager at Kikis in Douglas has tonight won the first Beam Suntory scholarship award from a worldwide entry at the worlds 50 best bar awards tonight.

Great for him and the hospitality industry on the Isle of Man too.

Bit of positive news so please no negativity. 

• Like 4

No negativity!!! you mean  short measures and smaller measures at same price????😈

Really, great fillip for him, hope he has fun with all the kudos. Does he go away to a  final?

Where is Kikis? Is it on the Dee?

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

No negativity!!! you mean  short measures and smaller measures at same price????😈

Really, great fillip for him, hope he has fun with all the kudos. Does he go away to a  final?

Where is Kikis? Is it on the Dee?

Mate, take that up with your local. I’ve personally asked one I was in who haven’t reduced ‘as the alcohol increased in price’ which is a lie. No idea why you want to moan about it in a thread about a local bartender winning a prestigious award. 

The scholarship is at Katana Kitten NY (continually in top 10 bars of the year), the Connaught in London (winner of number 1 bar of the year last year) and another in Barcelona (May have been the one that won bar of the year this year). 

We’ll likely lose him after that as would imagine he’ll set up on his own in a big city rather than here. 

47 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

What award did you ever get that you're most proud of?

I don't know about awards but I once came away from The Jet Strip (Adult Entertainment Club) in downtown LA with a stripper's phone number.

Does that count?

• Haha 2

90 percent of the oldies posting on here won’t know where Kikis’s is, never mind have been in.

A great establishment and just the sort of thing we need more of to make the island a bit more vibrant and at least go some way towards matching some offerings in city’s across.

Well done Drew

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

What award did you ever get that you're most proud of?

Oh perlease, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a super award. And I don't think I've ever won any award in my life. I couldn't win a raffle and all that. So yeah, good on the guy. 

Actually I did get the bronze swimming medal at Ballakermeen swimming pool, and that's one up from the Dolphin Certificate and I was and still am proud as punch of it.

I'm one of those oldies, but this apparently isn't a 'local' award for advertising, it's an industry accolade and the winner deserves our unfettered support. Lee Iacocca said (and I paraphrase) 'whatever you want to be, CEO or waitress, you owe it to yourself and others to be the best you can be'. That's why I'm one of the best gobshites (and getting better day by day).

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I'm one of those oldies, but this apparently isn't a 'local' award for advertising, it's an industry accolade and the winner deserves our unfettered support. Lee Iacocca said (and I paraphrase) 'whatever you want to be, CEO or waitress, you owe it to yourself and others to be the best you can be'. That's why I'm one of the best gobshites (and getting better day by day).

Hear, hear!

Edited by Andy Onchan

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

I don't know about awards but I once came away from The Jet Strip (Adult Entertainment Club) in downtown LA with a stripper's phone number.

Does that count?

Lol, I bet when you rang it, it turned out to be the Samaritan's...

• Haha 3