Short term, interest free loans

Asthehills

6 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is the operation based on Shariah-compliant finance?

There’s clearly a Sharia theme just based on the website. I’m not sure why you’d mix a Manx name (Argid is, I think, Manx for money) with pictures of women in hijabs smiling and pointing. But as has already been said these are just voucher schemes where the retailer selling you your TV or washing machine gets a sale out of your interest free loan and a whole pyramid deals and cross subsidies are done behind the scenes. Nobody is giving anyone free money. It looks like ultimately though they’re looking for altruistic depositors to do some sort of perr-to-peer interest free lending. Hopefully none of the loans go bad if you’re getting a zero return on your capital for the lending risk. 

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

At face value, it seems less predatory than things like Klarna which seem to appear to allow you to even finance a takeaway if you can’t afford it all at once. 

It’s just timely with the emerging cost of living crisis isn’t it? People have no money for the basics so this sort of offer will ride the wave of desperation. You’ll probably be able to buy beans in the Co-op with a loan soon. But just remember what happened to Arthur Fowler in 1988 when the Christmas Club money disappeared. 

• Haha 4

Just now, Steady Eddie said:

It’s just timely with the emerging cost of living crisis isn’t it? People have no money for the basics so this sort of offer will ride the wave of desperation. You’ll probably be able to buy beans in the Co-op with a loan soon. But just remember what happened to Arthur Fowler in 1988 when the Christmas Club money disappeared. 

Klarna etc have been going for years. Retailers get a bigger cut if people take the finance, and Klarna claim they spend more too when it’s a checkout option.

You can see how it quickly ends up dangerous with people overstretching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steady Eddie said:

There’s clearly a Sharia theme just based on the website. I’m not sure why you’d mix a Manx name (Argid is, I think, Manx for money) with pictures of women in hijabs smiling and pointing. But as has already been said these are just voucher schemes where the retailer selling you your TV or washing machine gets a sale out of your interest free loan and a whole pyramid deals and cross subsidies are done behind the scenes. Nobody is giving anyone free money. It looks like ultimately though they’re looking for altruistic depositors to do some sort of perr-to-peer interest free lending. Hopefully none of the loans go bad if you’re getting a zero return on your capital for the lending risk. 

If I hear anything else from Saqhib about this, I'll post on here (with his permission)

22 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

Yes the loans might be interest free but you’ll be whipped to within an inch of your life

Some people might pay for that...🤫

Edited by Apple
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, SenseiNL said:

Hey, I stumbled upon your post about short-term, interest-free loans, and I must say it caught my attention. It's intriguing to see how this concept will evolve and gain momentum. It seems like someone is using the island as a test bed before expanding on a larger scale, which is a smart move for startups and growing businesses worldwide.

An AI Devon Watson how amusing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SenseiNL said:

Hey, I stumbled upon your post about short-term, interest-free loans, and I must say it caught my attention. It's intriguing to see how this concept will evolve and gain momentum. It seems like someone is using the island as a test bed before expanding on a larger scale, which is a smart move for startups and growing businesses worldwide.

try stumbling down the stairs.

• Haha 3