Extending the 'tourist' season

Moghrey Mie

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visit-isle-of-man-extends-tourism-season-to-boost-visitor-numbers/

I am old enough to remember discussions about extending the 'shoulder seasons'.  Who wants to trudge round the island in November or March and pay £12 each to visit the House of Mannanan?

Edited by Moghrey Mie

People do in March, the season begins at the Valentines Day/February half term holiday

The season ends with Hop-tu-Naa - opening MNH properties during November is barking mad

I'd rather they spent the money on re-instating the Manx Folk Gallery at the museum now that Edmund Southworth has departed the scene

30 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

DOI opening the steam railway in November is a load of bollocks that will lose the tax payers a fortune. 

What will it cost? The staff remain employed all year usually so not sure there's any extra staff costs. A bit of coal and some maintenance? It's only two trains each way a day. Plus they might take a few quid. Not sure it will cost a fortune.

This summer a lot of the hotels have been pretty much full, so a good season overall from what friends in the industry have told me.

10 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

What will it cost? The staff remain employed all year usually so not sure there's any extra staff costs. A bit of coal and some maintenance? It's only two trains each way a day. Plus they might take a few quid. Not sure it will cost a fortune.

This summer a lot of the hotels have been pretty much full, so a good season overall from what friends in the industry have told me.

They don't, actually.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What do they do?

For example, I think that a significant percentage of the IOMR staff are seasonal.  I was challenging the Cap'n beacuse this means that extending the season will increase costs, which coupled with the probability of almost no income will worsen the losses in our 'heritage sector'.

38 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are there?

Yes.

Most staff at MNH sites.

Most staff on the MER

Most staff on the Choo Choos.

I think they might even have guides who work the summer only, people to great the cruise ships etc.

Keep an eye out around Feb/March time and they are all advertised as pro rata positions.

I spotted a couple Coaches full of pensioners in Ramsey this morning. All hanging around St Paul’s square and the public toilets looking miserable and trying to keep out of the rain.  At least they could play “can you tell what it is yet?” With the public art installation going on the bogs.