Extending the 'tourist' season

Moghrey Mie

Drove along the prom. Pouring rain. Two open sided trams jam packed with passengers in plastic packamacksand clear plastic head scarves/rain hoods. One closed tram with one passenger.

Went to Ramsey. Three full coaches from off Island. Fourth one on the prom in Peel.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Drove along the prom. Pouring rain. Two open sided trams jam packed with passengers in plastic packamacksand clear plastic head scarves/rain hoods. One closed tram with one passenger.

Went to Ramsey. Three full coaches from off Island. Fourth one on the prom in Peel.

Saw that this morning as well, couldn’t believe it as weather was atrocious!!

Money to spend on so called extension to season  keep museums heated and open  and the MER and trains running  , but when it came to the Manx Grand Prix  government claim to only have money for a nine day race  festival where people actually spend  significant amounts of money in the economy , I don't know who actually  does the value for money exercise , but   I know which one makes better business sense to me ,and its not trying to attract visitors here in November , 

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

John that will be why the DOI have decided to dig up west quay and the promenade in Peel,    all part of extending the season and working in conjunction with tourism  and the 54 parking and disabled spaces that are going to be lost in the scheme ,  I feel pity for anyone coming here on holiday  and after being ripped off for £12  half the visuals and  effects in the Mouse of Mananan  don't  ' function anymore , 

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

John that will be why the DOI have decided to dig up west quay and the promenade in Peel,    all part of extending the season and working in conjunction with tourism  and the 54 parking and disabled spaces that are going to be lost in the scheme ,  I feel pity for anyone coming here on holiday  and after being ripped off for £12  half the visuals and  effects in the Mouse of Mananan  don't  ' function anymore , 

The house of Manannan is actually a disgrace and has been since before COVID 

It should be closed or free until they update it so things work and aren’t from the mid 90s.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Just flatten it and use the site for parking

Nah. It’s a decent building but even when it was built there was very little to engage kids.

Now, in 2022 when kids expectations have changed and their exhibits haven’t ever been updated and don’t work, it’s a missed opportunity 

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Yes.

Most staff at MNH sites.

Most staff on the MER

Most staff on the Choo Choos.

I think they might even have guides who work the summer only, people to great the cruise ships etc.

Keep an eye out around Feb/March time and they are all advertised as pro rata positions.

Quite a few Steam Railway/MER/SMR jobs are seasonal - though you will need to apply by 20 November to get one of them.  It's conductors and guards and firemen, so drivers, station staff, maintenance, engineers etc are probably all year round.  So it won't be 'most of' but quite a few.  But the extension in November is only two trains a day each way, Saturday and Sunday only, so I would imagine they will only be using year-round staff.

MNH doesn't seem to use any 'seasonal' staff, though I think a lot of their site staff are effectively zero-hours, so they'll only normally be working March to November.  But many of these seem to be older people, treating it as a part-time retirement job, so that probably suits them.  They also move people between sites (again the November hours are quite restricted), so they may also be operating using permanent staff mostly.

The guides who take the cruise ship tours are self-employed, contracted by the company that runs them and I think the meeters and greeters are volunteers.  It's not really relevant to the November extension anyway.

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I passed a fella this afternoon asking one of the infrastructure workers on Peel prom how long they were likely to be there, & he said they were doing their best to extend it to longer than the Douglas prom works 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

I visited Killarney a while back and talking to locals, their season drops off at the beginning of December and resumes in February. I didn't see a lot there different to what we have here, just that some of it is done a bit better and some nice hotels. 

Still they have a plan to extend their tourism season

1.4m million visitors a year!

https://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/Wild Atlantic Way/Killarney_DEDP_Draft.pdf

I think don't think that anyone should be worrying about a few quid in extra wages for train drivers, guards, conductors etc, and MNH staff. And at least this money stays on the Island. 

The major costs of this exercise will be in the advertising and promotion where the DoI could easily spunk hundreds of thousands in the blink of an eye.