Online Tax Return Site down

Max Power

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Thats not good . Apparently a few people have had problems and have rang them and it got sorted within a few days. Seems if you shout it gets done really quickly. Think there really busy and work there way through them systematically and by ringing or calling in you move to the top. Good luck ! 

Just called them,they received the return on the 11th april and it hasnt been assessed yet !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tucker said:

Just called them,they received the return on the 11th april and it hasnt been assessed yet !

I think I'm the same.  I haven't called them though.  I sent in my return, I have an acknowledgement.  I don't think I owe or am owed much in the whole scheme of things, the longer they delay it's no skin off my nose.

If you want an example of delay, try the UK HMRC office.  Impossible to contact by phone, letters don't get actioned for months, and difficult to access online.  My brother-in-law once told me that he had a friend in a tax office.  If they were busy they'd just put the incoming mail in the bin.  Any follow-up letters were just replied with 'sorry, we never got it'.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

If they were busy they'd just put the incoming mail in the bin.  Any follow-up letters were just replied with 'sorry, we never got it'.

I have exactly the same policy for letters from the tax office. In 30 years working on this island the closest thing I've ever had to good news from them is "we owe you £x, but............., so in actual fact you now owe us £Y."

I'm not nearly rich enough to benefit from the deliberate swerves they leave open for the benefit of those who can afford it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Or that could be horseshit. Wasn't there a major outage at one of the big local datacentres last night that affected a number of customers, including MT, IOMG and WiManx ? Internet was down for hours for WiManx customers according to FB.

Well it's not "Horseshit". You ask the tax people when the system went 'offline'. I know for a fact. yep laddie, a fucking fact, that it was within a minute of midnight 4/5 October.

You're just offering waffle with your somewhat fuckwitted and wimpering statement "wasn't there a major outage at one of the big local datacentres blah, blah"

Where did you hear that then? Manx forums a few posts back?

Well if there was "a major outage at one of the big local datacentres" it certainly didn't affect BlueWave, for sure (hey, maybe there is a message in there)

Edited by AOR

13 hours ago, wrighty said:

It always baffles me why people leave this to the last minute.  Why do you do it? As soon as I get the return notice (in April) I start filling it in online.  It generally takes a few minutes, and once I receive my mortgage interest statement, usually a couple of weeks after, the return is submitted and I no longer think about it.

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

This +1 

I'm the same , have it filled in ready as soon as it comes in on line and just wait around a month for anunities statement to come through and bish bash , job done. Usually refund by June and no worries. The online form makes it so easy tbh. Looking back yes I was never early , even occasionally late and fined. Now stress free.

I have always left it to the last day or two. Yes it's stressful and I always wish I had done it earlier. But there was never any comeback or question.

Our accountant one year insisted I fill it out before end of April, just to save me and him the hassle and stress. So I did. It felt good, really good.

But it seemed - and this is my perception - with filing so early the tax office were not so busy and were able to go through the figures with a fine tooth comb. I was dragged into their office and questioned like a criminal. I had to provide proof of every penny, provide copies of every statement, letter, form etc. It was a sleepless and stressful few weeks. Not far the worst in my life.

As it turned out everything was fully in order.

So yes, while it is good to fill the form as soon as possible, I will press send only within a couple of days of the deadline. Go with the herd.

Edited by AOR

32 minutes ago, AOR said:

I have always left it to the last day or two. Yes it's stressful and I always wish I had done it earlier. But there was never any comeback or question.

Our accountant one year insisted I fill it out before end of April, just to save me and him the hassle and stress. So I did. It felt good, really good.

But it seemed - and this is my perception - with filing so early the tax office were not so busy and were able to go through the figures with a fine tooth comb. I was dragged into their office and questioned like a criminal. I had to provide proof of every penny, provide copies of every statement, letter, form etc. It was a sleepless and stressful few weeks. Not far the worst in my life.

So yes, while it is good to fill the form as soon as possible, I will press send only within a couple of days of the deadline. Go with the herd.

Feel your pain as in a previous life had similar grilling from VAT inspectors. Not pleasant and yes very stressful. TBH my situation, and only really thought after posting, is very different now as being retired and pension etc is already filled in on my form so just need to add two small annuities to it and am good to go . No morgage or interest to fill in so its really simple and as I said so stress free.

6 hours ago, AOR said:

Well it's not "Horseshit". You ask the tax people when the system went 'offline'. I know for a fact. yep laddie, a fucking fact, that it was within a minute of midnight 4/5 October.

You're just offering waffle with your somewhat fuckwitted and wimpering statement "wasn't there a major outage at one of the big local datacentres blah, blah"

Where did you hear that then? Manx forums a few posts back?

Well if there was "a major outage at one of the big local datacentres" it certainly didn't affect BlueWave, for sure (hey, maybe there is a message in there)

Sorry for being honest. It was horseshit, though. 

An example of where I heard it from was Wi-Manx's Facebook feed at 6:43 on Thursday morning, after the overnight outage :

image.png.0be26a3b6afc073cf6e66f766c589ce4.png

You'll note that manx.net, amongst other services, is still down.

You posted a load of conspiracy stuff about "network problems" not being a real thing, which was at odds with what was actually happening. Being called out on it is clearly causing you some butthurt. 

Edited by The Bastard

19 hours ago, wrighty said:

It always baffles me why people leave this to the last minute.  Why do you do it? As soon as I get the return notice (in April) I start filling it in online.  It generally takes a few minutes, and once I receive my mortgage interest statement, usually a couple of weeks after, the return is submitted and I no longer think about it.

You dont run a business then. Sometimes it takes months to get all your receipts and proof together. I admit there is plenty of time though if you get organised. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AOR said:

I like to think these events are random rather than planned. I got inspected by the UK HMRC almost 20 years ago. Couldn’t have been more inconvenient timing-wise as I was about to leave for Australia for the year (the inspection was nothing to do with that) and it was stressful trying to find all the paperwork. And I’ve always had very straightforward tax returns.