Online Tax Return Site down

Max Power

I  was filling in a tax form Tuesday night (4th Oct) no problem but  as soon as  midnight struck (5th) I was told my form was not accepted.

I reckon someone at the tax office computer system got the date wrong for the cut-off.

It's what we in the industry call 'a computer fault', but that has been sussed these days as we all know what it really means. 'A network error' is better as no one anywhere really has a clue about what that can mean and of course it can be suddenly and mysteriously become ok and no fingers are pointed.

Edited by AOR

Just now, AOR said:

I  was filling in a tax form Tuesday night (4th Oct) no problem but  as soon as  midnight struck (5th) I was told my form was not accepted.

I reckon someone at the tax office got the date wrong for the cut-off.

It's what we in the industry call 'a computer fault', but that has been sussed these days as we all know what it really means. 'A network error' is better as no one anywhere really has a clue about what that can mean and of course it can be suddenly and mysteriously become ok and no fingers are pointed.

Or that could be horseshit. Wasn't there a major outage at one of the big local datacentres last night that affected a number of customers, including MT, IOMG and WiManx ? Internet was down for hours for WiManx customers according to FB.

• Like 1

It always baffles me why people leave this to the last minute.  Why do you do it? As soon as I get the return notice (in April) I start filling it in online.  It generally takes a few minutes, and once I receive my mortgage interest statement, usually a couple of weeks after, the return is submitted and I no longer think about it.

• Like 3

Just now, wrighty said:

It always baffles me why people leave this to the last minute.  Why do you do it? As soon as I get the return notice (in April) I start filling it in online.  It generally takes a few minutes, and once I receive my mortgage interest statement, usually a couple of weeks after, the return is submitted and I no longer think about it.

It depends. If you are single, PAYE with no extra income, it does indeed take a couple of minutes, mostly trying to remember your login details.

If you happen to be married to a sole trader, it can take months of “I need your tax numbers” “yes I know” before it can finally be submitted. 

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Try running a business in the post Covid, post Brexit, Ukraine war, multiple crises period at the same time as having several children who have regularly been off school due to teacher shortages and pay disputes. 

Life gets busy, tasks have to be prioritised, I'm sure we'd all like to be smugly taking the piss out of people who leave things to the last minute, but for some it's just another day another deadline. Anyway, shouldn't you be out getting your last few bit of Christmas shopping, or have you finished that too 😀

13 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Try running a business in the post Covid, post Brexit, Ukraine war, multiple crises period at the same time as having several children who have regularly been off school due to teacher shortages and pay disputes. 

Life gets busy, tasks have to be prioritised, I'm sure we'd all like to be smugly taking the piss out of people who leave things to the last minute, but for some it's just another day another deadline. Anyway, shouldn't you be out getting your last few bit of Christmas shopping, or have you finished that too 😀

There are some that that applies to, but there are people I know in real life who have none of those difficulties but still leave it until now to submit their uncomplicated tax returns.  But of course, I'm the strange one for just getting it done 🙄

I don't do Christmas shopping if I can help it - my sister (who bizarrely enjoys this activity) does it for me and sends me a list so I know what 'I've' got for people, and I send her the money. I thoroughly recommend it.

Edited by wrighty
grammatical error!
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There are some that that applies to, but there are people I know in real life who have none of those difficulties but still leave it until now to submit their uncomplicated tax returns.  But of course, I'm the strange one for just getting it done 🙄

I don't do Christmas shopping if I can help it - my sister (who bizarrely enjoys this activity) does it for me and sends me a list so I know what 'I've' got for people, and I send her the money. I thoroughly recommend it.

11C388E0-4876-4BF4-BCE8-2C8B45F5E50C.jpeg

42 minutes ago, wrighty said:

This +1 

I'm the same , have it filled in ready as soon as it comes in on line and just wait around a month for anunities statement to come through and bish bash , job done. Usually refund by June and no worries. The online form makes it so easy tbh. Looking back yes I was never early , even occasionally late and fined. Now stress free.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

This +1 

I'm the same , have it filled in ready as soon as it comes in on line and just wait around a month for anunities statement to come through and bish bash , job done. Usually refund by June and no worries. The online form makes it so easy tbh. Looking back yes I was never early , even occasionally late and fined. Now stress free.

I filled out and handed in my tax return in April and havnt heard a thing since !

7 minutes ago, tucker said:

I filled out and handed in my tax return in April and havnt heard a thing since !

Thats not good . Apparently a few people have had problems and have rang them and it got sorted within a few days. Seems if you shout it gets done really quickly. Think there really busy and work there way through them systematically and by ringing or calling in you move to the top. Good luck !