Online Tax Return Site down

Max Power

On 10/7/2022 at 4:38 AM, The Bastard said:

Sorry for being honest. It was horseshit, though. 

An example of where I heard it from was Wi-Manx's Facebook feed at 6:43 on Thursday morning, after the overnight outage :

image.png.0be26a3b6afc073cf6e66f766c589ce4.png

You'll note that manx.net, amongst other services, is still down.

You posted a load of conspiracy stuff about "network problems" not being a real thing, which was at odds with what was actually happening. Being called out on it is clearly causing you some butthurt. 

Well then big boy, it looks like you've offered me an alternative to my "conspiracy theory" that someone involved in the tax computer programming (American sourced software btw, and sold to many tax jurisdictions all over the world - I know the company quite well, although the specifics such as dates etc are input locally) has cocked up the dates.

But please note my tax return details were being accepted up to one minute to midnight but not one minute after. ie "Computer says no", hey, but at least it was saying something.

But that still leaves us with a problem that somewhere the network on the Isle of Man concerned with the Isle of Man Government is pretty shit, although I must say my own internet provide never missed a beat. Not one beat.

Edited by AOR

At the end of the day if your tax return is not in by the cut off time you are liable for a fine , no point in blaming  the  internet connection ,  you should never leave anything to the last minute  , especially in the Isle of Man  when you know  IT systems are not 100% reliable ,  and Governments  are one of the worst 

On 10/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, tucker said:

I filled out and handed in my tax return in April and havnt heard a thing since !

I wonder if, perchance, your financial affairs are complicated. You could be in some officer's 'too hard' box. Nonetheless, they are lightning compared to how they used to be.

I submitted returns for the company every year from 93-94 to 02-03 and never heard a word from them. No trace of an assessment or even an acknowledgement. I wasn't going to chase them on principle. Why would I? This was long before zero/10, so we owed them loadsamoney over the 10 years.

Of course, back then they were swimming in the VAT receipts, so money wasn't an issue for the Island, except what to spend it on. I did broach the subject to someone who might know, and he said that it's probably in somebody's tray, but because it's complicated, every time it comes to the top, they shove it back down to the bottom.

I was beginning to think they didn't want us to join their club at all, but eventually, someone obviously grasped the nettle and we received 10 assessments in 10 envelopes in the same post. Spoilt my coffee break.

I was under the impression that there was a 7 year limit on chasing people for tax. That didn’t stop the UK HMRC recently sending me a fine (erroneously, but it was still a nuisance to deal with) for non-submission of my 2005-06 self-assessment. 

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I was under the impression that there was a 7 year limit on chasing people for tax. That didn’t stop the UK HMRC recently sending me a fine (erroneously, but it was still a nuisance to deal with) for non-submission of my 2005-06 self-assessment. 

It crossed my mind that they were late, but in all conscience we knew we owed it. We'd had the luxury of interest on it for years, so we just paid it. It would have been a lot more in the UK. Fair dos and all of that.

18 hours ago, woolley said:

I wonder if, perchance, your financial affairs are complicated. You could be in some officer's 'too hard' box. Nonetheless, they are lightning compared to how they used to be.

I submitted returns for the company every year from 93-94 to 02-03 and never heard a word from them. No trace of an assessment or even an acknowledgement. I wasn't going to chase them on principle. Why would I? This was long before zero/10, so we owed them loadsamoney over the 10 years.

Of course, back then they were swimming in the VAT receipts, so money wasn't an issue for the Island, except what to spend it on. I did broach the subject to someone who might know, and he said that it's probably in somebody's tray, but because it's complicated, every time it comes to the top, they shove it back down to the bottom.

I was beginning to think they didn't want us to join their club at all, but eventually, someone obviously grasped the nettle and we received 10 assessments in 10 envelopes in the same post. Spoilt my coffee break.

Im a dissabled pensioner with f all savings !

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, wrighty said:

I think I'm the same.  I haven't called them though.  I sent in my return, I have an acknowledgement.  I don't think I owe or am owed much in the whole scheme of things, the longer they delay it's no skin off my nose.

Got my assessment this am .