New Promenade Walkway

Passing Time

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So if we made the rest of the prom a similar deepest part by digging away and removing some of the build up of sand, gravel and shingle, that would alleviate some of the overtopping along that length too.

£5M consultancy fee payable to me please.

Surely accumulated sand and gravel does not effect the overtopping. The sea level is relative to AOD not the level of the land. 

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Surely accumulated sand and gravel does not effect the overtopping. The sea level is relative to AOD not the level of the land. 

The problems occur not when the sea is static, but when there are waves. The beach is a ramp that causes the waves to break early, but the water still rolls up the ramp onto the road. If the beach was reverted to its state a few decades ago, the waves would hit the seawall, rise up to the curved bit and be thrown back out to sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNoy4H2Z-o

• Like 2

Tell you what , as nobody in authority seems to know. Why not get a big bulldozer and try ! My bets is if you create much less of a ramp , the shaping of the wall will do its job and we will be good to go. Dig out and move back the raised sand and stones along from War memorial to derby castle and I reckon you could be sorted. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Tell you what , as nobody in authority seems to know. Why not get a big bulldozer and try ! My bets is if you create much less of a ramp , the shaping of the wall will do its job and we will be good to go. Dig out and move back the raised sand and stones along from War memorial to derby castle and I reckon you could be sorted. 

Will the wall hold up to a proper pounding from a big winter storm? A few people have said it's in poor condition behind all that sand.

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Will the wall hold up to a proper pounding from a big winter storm? A few people have said it's in poor condition behind all that sand.

Ah ..... the old promenade opening gambit. Under there, there a holes so big they could swallow a bus. Therefore we must totally rebuild at the greatest cost possible.  I like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Well if it doesn't its not making much sense then to build a 5 ft wall on top of some of it...as was said above , no voids were found in the extensive works carried out previously. Little bits have crumbled over the years but easily fixed it seemed. I guess if they really want to splash money on grand schemes nothing any of us say are going to change that sadly. I would be more concerned about the 5ft wall surving the storms over a winter. Sea has incredible power ! .   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

If they are determined to go ahead with this nonsense, why isn’t the top bit (the V shape) made so that it can lift out so we still have a view in the summer and drop it in at the same time they put the barriers for the sunken gardens in?

I hope they are confident this will stop big waves, because if it doesn’t the prom and gardens are just going to fill with water.

8B6AB3B3-0599-4E70-8AF7-A9301493603D.jpeg

The extra length sea wall referred to in the Gef article has the sole purpose of protecting the sunken gardens. The most likely time of over-topping is in winter, when there is bugger-all growing in the sunken gardens, and there is another wall around the gardens anyway.

I think the real reason can be seen in the image above - this is another art installation and will have  "sculpted concrete with texture to create changes in light and shade".  I'm still in favour of Doris' Crack being installed.

So at one end of the prom. we will have a muriel to Fand, the fairy princess, and the other end a wall with  changing texture. Well worth millions of someone else's money.

Chris Thomas has posted here occasionally  - but now he doesn't seem keen to post anything about his relationship with Fand, though.

Edited to add:

"rhythmic spacing" - can you imagine a foreman saying to the lads erecting a fence "Now then, make sure you get the right rhythmic spacing between those posts. Points will be deducted.".

Edited by Two-lane
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The extra length sea wall referred to in the Gef article has the sole purpose of protecting the sunken gardens. The most likely time of over-topping is in winter, when there is bugger-all growing in the sunken gardens, and there is another wall around the gardens anyway.

I think the real reason can be seen in the image above - this is another art installation and will have  "sculpted concrete with texture to create changes in light and shade".  I'm still in favour of Doris' Crack being installed.

So at one end of the prom. we will have a muriel to Fand, the fairy princess, and the other end a wall with  changing texture. Well worth millions of someone else's money.

Chris Thomas has posted here occasionally  - but now he doesn't seem keen to post anything about his relationship with Fand, though.

Don’t forget that part of the sunken gardens actual purpose was to fill and act as a flood defence stopping the water and waves coming across the prom.

They have worked for decades and any damage was simply fixed quickly around Easter and the gardens replanted.  Simple, but they do love to overcomplicate things these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

True. Although the angle of the beach to the prom may help waves run up and over onto the prom. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The problems occur not when the sea is static, but when there are waves. The beach is a ramp that causes the waves to break early, but the water still rolls up the ramp onto the road. If the beach was reverted to its state a few decades ago, the waves would hit the seawall, rise up to the curved bit and be thrown back out to sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNoy4H2Z-o

Yes. I agree that where waves are concerned then the level of the sand will change things. Too complicated for me though.