New Promenade Walkway

Passing Time

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

The part of the Prom under discussion  is the southern end, the water is quite deep there, i doubt any scraping would have any effect???

The proposal is to put in a 1200mm wall with drainage hole at the bottom, most of us would be able to see over such a wall, kids? maybe not?

Obviously there has been damage to the sunken garden walls and of the whole of the prom, perhaps they do deserve priority attention? Many on here seem to think that the repairs are overdue?

What are they to do? Leave it or repair it?

Of course, they could bolt planks to the bottom of the railings for 150k quid?!!! and wait for the economic situation to improve!!!

Agreed, probably wouldn't have much effect on the southern end, but I say it's probably worth a punt in the middle of the prom, although it's rarely that bad there. 

To be honest, I've seen loads of photos on the iMuseum, Manx Nostalgia pages etc of the southern prom flooded in ye olde Victorian times. Realistically it's always happened but is it any worse now?  Although I suppose all the sea walls etc were pretty much brand new then, so would have stood up a lot better? 

Problems with sunken garden walls is to do with the Iris tanks being built. 5 ton vibrating hammer used to put piles in place for coffer dams caused what little foundations to shift and be sat on loose infill, which all of the reclaimed prom is made of. Also it being a lime mortar and manx stone wall has weakened over time. All that is needed is new foundations and a on side block core and stone facing, it has not helped with the storm boards no longer doing what they are supposed to. By leaving gaps for wheel chair and stroller access they are pointless letting water flood into the gardens and undermining the wall stability from the rear. I know people will not want to hear about restricting access as its just not pc, but it is the only way it works.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Problems with sunken garden walls is to do with the Iris tanks being built. 5 ton vibrating hammer used to put piles in place for coffer dams caused what little foundations to shift and be sat on loose infill, which all of the reclaimed prom is made of. Also it being a lime mortar and manx stone wall has weakened over time. All that is needed is new foundations and a on side block core and stone facing, it has not helped with the storm boards no longer doing what they are supposed to. By leaving gaps for wheel chair and stroller access they are pointless letting water flood into the gardens and undermining the wall stability from the rear. I know people will not want to hear about restricting access as its just not pc, but it is the only way it works.

I would rather see them rebuild the garden walls properly and with better drop ins for when a storm is coming and just accept the the walkway is going to flood.

It seems a real, and unnecessary shame to build a solid wall but why have already done Castletown harbour, and have similar plans for Ramsey harbour and insane sea walls for Ramsey and Laxey as well.

If sea levels have risen as much as they are predicting in 50 years I will be astounded (dead, but astounded) and if they have those still here will have much bigger problems than a bit of prom Flooding to worry about

• Like 2

This will not happen because of the so called experts that the DOI have used, they would not know there ass from their elbow. As most would not know which end of a shovel is used and just operate from auto cad machines. DOI think it costs £4-5000000 it must be right. And of course the numpty signing this off is at most to blame because he believes this shite. Let him stake his pension on it, he may be a little more interested then. F%#$@₩g clown 🤡

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, snowman said:

Oh jesus, don't give them more ideas. Imagine the cost of all the wavey benches and money spent on bespoke concrete etc. probably doubled the price of the job.

I suspect whatever we get here will be Brutalist Atlantic Wall basic concrete (i.e opposite the Northern Pool) and still cost £16m-£20m. Most of the money will be spent on coloured granite paving, statues of obscure and tenuous manx heritage and very expensive features that'll last about 5 years tops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, snowman said:

I actually quite like the idea/look of those wavey benches as the sea wall, set back from the current railings, allowing you to still actually see the sea. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Oh jesus, don't give them more ideas. Imagine the cost of all the wavey benches and money spent on bespoke concrete etc. probably doubled the price of the job.

I suspect whatever we get here will be Brutalist Atlantic Wall basic concrete (i.e opposite the Northern Pool) and still cost £16m-£20m. Most of the money will be spent on coloured granite paving, statues of obscure and tenuous manx heritage and very expensive features that'll last about 5 years tops.

You forgot to mention the Chinese Bazaar LED lighting

BRING BACK THE FESTOONS!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I actually quite like the idea/look of those wavey benches as the sea wall, set back from the current railings, allowing you to still actually see the sea. 

I like them too but we won't be allowed them here. Too much of a risk that young people might sit on them at night and talk (shock horror)  or homeless people might turn them into sleeping accommodation.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I like them too but we won't be allowed them here. Too much of a risk that young people might sit on them at night and talk (shock horror)  or homeless people might turn them into sleeping accommodation.

Look at the plus side of the lighting.  Young people will not congregate to chat in the dark and at least we won't be able to see the favela that springs up. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

at least we won't be able to see the favela that springs up. 

Have Dandara or Haven got permission for there as well now...?