Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

6 hours ago, Omobono said:

was in touch with friends in the US yesterday , they are on heat pump  with underfloor heating ,house is frozen and they suspect they will have to revisit their heating system  as it is just not up to the job  or delivers what the engineer  stated  ,  they had a hot air system before that and even in the hardest winter the house was warm  and the system never let them down , 

Exactly.  Similar issues with electric cars refusing to charge at all or running stupidly low ranges.

There was a video doing the rounds of a UK charging station this week with loads of Teslas queuing up for a charge on the drive home for Christmas when it’s not even that cold and their ranges have taken a hammering 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

A friend of mine in the U.K. converted to a heat pump system last year but it couldn't cope in the very cold conditions these recent weeks. It only provides an ambient temperature. Not much good when the temperature is below freezing, and certainly not in parts of the USA/Canada at the moment.  

My 32kw oil fired boiler could cope very well either. 

Their system must be undersized because a heat pump system uses 100% electricity when the temperature outside is too cold to give latent heat. Its nothing to do with the technology, it's to do with either being undersized for the job/lack of insulation.

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

was in touch with friends in the US yesterday , they are on heat pump  with underfloor heating ,house is frozen and they suspect they will have to revisit their heating system  as it is just not up to the job  or delivers what the engineer  stated  ,  they had a hot air system before that and even in the hardest winter the house was warm  and the system never let them down , 

They must be very old. The cold spell has been described as worst in living memory and unprecedented by the US meteorological offices. How do they know their old system would have worked?

Like with previous comment. It's nothing to do with it being a heat pump and all to do with it being undersized for the job.

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Exactly.  Similar issues with electric cars refusing to charge at all or running stupidly low ranges.

There was a video doing the rounds of a UK charging station this week with loads of Teslas queuing up for a charge on the drive home for Christmas when it’s not even that cold and their ranges have taken a hammering 

It's a totally different issue. Caused by cold. That's all there is in common.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

My 32kw oil fired boiler could cope very well either. 

Their system must be undersized because a heat pump system uses 100% electricity when the temperature outside is too cold to give latent heat. Its nothing to do with the technology, it's to do with either being undersized for the job/lack of insulation.

Do they ever use anything other than 100% electricity?

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

For most but if my memory serves me, Billy Henderson did ok out of it 😂

I analysed the figures at the time and Henderson would actually have done worse out of it than anyone else.  However when they actually changed the rules, they put in a special Henderson clause which 'grandfathered in' current rates of pay for those elected to their current position before July 2021.  So he and most of the other LegCo members stayed on their old rates.  Which made a mockery of the 'revenue-neutral' claim, which was incorrect anyway.

Incidentally those figures also show that Stu (and others) did get a double-digit payrise (I reckoned it was around 28%) on what they would have earned before.  At least as far as Stu's first year was concerned when he decided not to take a Departmental Membership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I analysed the figures at the time and Henderson would actually have done worse out of it than anyone else.  However when they actually changed the rules, they put in a special Henderson clause which 'grandfathered in' current rates of pay for those elected to their current position before July 2021.  So he and most of the other LegCo members stayed on their old rates.  Which made a mockery of the 'revenue-neutral' claim, which was incorrect anyway.

Incidentally those figures also show that Stu (and others) did get a double-digit payrise (I reckoned it was around 28%) on what they would have earned before.  At least as far as Stu's first year was concerned when he decided not to take a Departmental Membership.

But didn’t they scrap the annual tax free expenses allowance of c£7k & add it to salary & make it taxable , all of which reduced the actual increase 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

But didn’t they scrap the annual tax free expenses allowance of c£7k & add it to salary & make it taxable , all of which reduced the actual increase 

I think it was always taxable. Expenses are only exempt when they are specific and reclaimed against receipts etc, which these 'expenses' never were, despite Callister's attempts to pretend that he really spending it all for the good of the public.  If you could ignore taxes by designating a chunk of your earnings as 'expenses', everyone in Athol Street would be in on the scam.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it was always taxable. Expenses are only exempt when they are specific and reclaimed against receipts etc, which these 'expenses' never were, despite Callister's attempts to pretend that he really spending it all for the good of the public.  If you could ignore taxes by designating a chunk of your earnings as 'expenses', everyone in Athol Street would be in on the scam.

No. The expenses payment was a peculiar tax free compensation package, without having to provide proof of payment/receipts, just for MHK’s..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Do they ever use anything other than 100% electricity?

Yes of course they do. The electricity is used to power the compressor.  Heat is produced by the compression of the gas. It's a bit complicated but you get 3kw of heat for each kw of electricity. The heat is being extracted from the ground or the air outside. However if there is no latent heat ( which is very rare) then you only get 1kw of heat per 1kw electricity used. 

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/advice-and-knowledge/how-does-a-heat-pump-work-2211666.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltjmTjfmJ-rFl-xAC0s_E_1VBfFj6O-A_HMQXooxn8cvi_YFCovpGbRoC1u4QAvD_BwE

It's not new technology. It's been around about 30 years. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't get a payrise. I started in September 2021 and am at the same rate now. The fact the structure changed before I was elected is irrelevant to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's a totally different issue. Caused by cold. That's all there is in common.

@Asthehills I'll explain. 

1. Batteries are affected by cold. That's because it's a chemical reaction and all reactions are slower at lower temperatures.

2. The availability of latent heat for a heat pump reduces at lower temperatures. That's at a time when you need more heat. Therefore the efficiency goes down.

So. Both adversely affected by cold. But totally different reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

@Asthehills I'll explain. 

1. Batteries are affected by cold. That's because it's a chemical reaction and all reactions are slower at lower temperatures.

2. The availability of latent heat for a heat pump reduces at lower temperatures. That's at a time when you need more heat. Therefore the efficiency goes down.

So. Both adversely affected by cold. But totally different reasons. 

Yes.  I am fully aware of that because I am over 8 years old.

You are reading WAY too much into the use of the word similar.  I meant simply issues caused by it being cold.

Thanks for the patronising science lesson though 🙄

Edited by Asthehills

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Yes.  I am fully aware of that because I am over 8 years old.

You are reading WAY too much into the use of the word similar.  I meant simply issues caused by it being cold.

Thanks for the patronising science lesson though 🙄

Your welcome. Wasn't meant to be patronising. If you don't want things explaining then don't put confused emojis on my posts. Save that for 8 years olds. 

By doing that we'll know where we stand in future. 

• Haha 1