Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

No. The expenses payment was a peculiar tax free compensation package, without having to provide proof of payment/receipts, just for MHK’s..

I said 'I think' because I couldn't imagine then doing something so obviously self-serving, that no one else could benefit from, but it turns out to be true according to the report from the committee that sorted it out:

[...] The existing system is plainly anomalous in that Members receive a tax-free sum of (at April 2019 rates) £7,403.60 which is subject to employer’s and employee’s National Insurance contributions but not to income tax; and which is not pensionable. While some Tynwald Members undoubtedly incur some expenditure which might qualify as a business expense in other environments, we do not think any Member incurs as much as £7,400 per year in expenditure of this type.

The fact it was subject to NI just makes it even odder.  Don't worry too much about the poor Tynwald members actually having to pay tax extra though.  The pay deal they also included an extra £1100 or so to cover about two thirds of it and they will be able to claim stuff they might actually use in their job (such as computers) against tax anyway.

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I said 'I think' because I couldn't imagine then doing something so obviously self-serving, that no one else could benefit from, but it turns out to be true according to the report from the committee that sorted it out:

[...] The existing system is plainly anomalous in that Members receive a tax-free sum of (at April 2019 rates) £7,403.60 which is subject to employer’s and employee’s National Insurance contributions but not to income tax; and which is not pensionable. While some Tynwald Members undoubtedly incur some expenditure which might qualify as a business expense in other environments, we do not think any Member incurs as much as £7,400 per year in expenditure of this type.

The fact it was subject to NI just makes it even odder.  Don't worry too much about the poor Tynwald members actually having to pay tax extra though.  The pay deal they also included an extra £1100 or so to cover about two thirds of it and they will be able to claim stuff they might actually use in their job (such as computers) against tax anyway.

It’s still bizarre.  The £7400 was consolidated, and made taxable, but it doesn’t count towards pension and pension contributions aren’t paid on it, by either side.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s still bizarre.  The £7400 was consolidated, and made taxable, but it doesn’t count towards pension and pension contributions aren’t paid on it, by either side.

So how was it Watterson was able to bang in the most pathetic X's ever after his pointless jolly to the Falklands?

After all, you can buy an awful lot of suncream for £7,400...

In fact, as it is pre-paid, why is there an expenses system at all?

51 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So how was it Watterson was able to bang in the most pathetic X's ever after his pointless jolly to the Falklands?

After all, you can buy an awful lot of suncream for £7,400...

In fact, as it is pre-paid, why is there an expenses system at all?

The £7400 was for on island expenses, constituency travel, evening meetings travel, computer, home office.

Off island travel is different. There’s actual, cheapest, travel, accommodation, a per diem, drinks if you’re holed up in an hotel in South America, between planes, aspirin, paracetamol, sun cream.

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

The £7400 was for on island expenses, constituency travel, evening meetings travel, computer, home office.

Off island travel is different. There’s actual, cheapest, travel, accommodation, a per diem, drinks if you’re holed up in an hotel in South America, between planes, aspirin, paracetamol, sun cream.

As the trip was totally unjustifiable then so are any expenses....

As I recall the expenses being folded in was a wizard wheeze dreamt up so the "honourable" members could award themselves a payrise without appearing greedy (ho hum). That's why it's a total kludge.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

As I recall the expenses being folded in was a wizard wheeze dreamt up so the "honourable" members could award themselves a payrise without appearing greedy (ho hum). That's why it's a total kludge.....

That’s my recollection also.

Clearly some off island travel, occasionally, is necessary, for both civil servants and Manx politicians. So it’s right that there is a scheme for payment/reimbursement.

I have to laugh when it’s said, of some trips, ahhh, it’s not tax payer funded, it’s this, or that, organisation ( often Commonwealth Parliamentary Association), that’s paying. That just means it’s some tax payer, somewhere, out of membership or affiliation or capitation fees.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, finlo said:

So they expect the taxpayer to pay to get ripped off!

Twice. We have already paid for the UKs renewable ambitions in the government borrowing and the resulting devaluation of the pound. 

All we should be doing is buying in electricity from the uk and maintaining a back up system here. 

• Like 1