Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

14 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I strongly disagree. We should be going all-in on onshore wind and residential solar. With UK as our backup. And gradually phase out gas.

Well said, and I would make residential solar mandatory.

I'm having 16 x 400W panels, 3.6 kW inverter, 10kWH battery installed next month for £15,300.

12 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I strongly disagree. We should be going all-in on onshore wind and residential solar. With UK as our backup. And gradually phase out gas.

and you will be nowhere to be seen when the lights go out , link to the UK has to be the best option  with some wind  to provide additional generation , but you cant totally rely on it !

59 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Well said, and I would make residential solar mandatory.

I'm having 16 x 400W panels, 3.6 kW inverter, 10kWH battery installed next month for £15,300.

Well seen as you do not live on the island kindly keep your thoughts to your area.

Obviously you have not heard of the manx pound, it would cost approx 3 x that on the island. And if you did manage to produce any extra you would have to pay the MUA to take it off your hands, all the while saving nothing including the planet.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, genericUserName said:

And what? Pay three times over for something that is not necessary?

We have paid for it already. Why pay again? 

If you want to run your own little wind farm, go right ahead. But, don't expect people like me to subsidise your "Green" (in more ways than one) ambitions! 

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

If you want to run your own little wind farm, go right ahead. But, don't expect people like me to subsidise your "Green" (in more ways than one) ambitions! 

Of course it is necessary. The whole world is moving to renewables and the island needs to be part of that. It's dumb burning fossil fuels and it's even dumber being dependent the countries where they typically come from.

Investment in modern infrastructure makes solid economic sense - both here and in the UK.

20 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Of course it is necessary. The whole world is moving to renewables and the island needs to be part of that. It's dumb burning fossil fuels and it's even dumber being dependent the countries where they typically come from.

Investment in modern infrastructure makes solid economic sense - both here and in the UK.

So you say it is necessary because other people are doing it, not because it is actually necessary for any other reason. Did you ever consider that the world warming actually means less burning of fossil fuels due to less requirement for heating? 

Edited by Cambon
A

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Actually wind power makes financial sense as well as green sense. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Actually wind power makes financial sense as well as green sense. 

Not when you take into account the cost of disposal of old, expired turbines. They are virtually indestructible. Also, the price of gas is back down to affordable levels. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, genericUserName said:

You sound like one of those gimps from Go Green IOM or whatever they call themselves.

44 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Not when you take into account the cost of disposal of old, expired turbines. They are virtually indestructible. Also, the price of gas is back down to affordable levels. 

Genuine question...

If the wind turbine structure itself is "virtually indestructible" I take it it's the inner mechanical/electronic workings that will eventually render it "expired"?

If so, can't the turbines be made so that the inner workings can be replaced every so often so the "indestructible" structure can continue to be used?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Can you substantiate that. Doesn't make sense. You would still need the turbines for days when its not windy. What makes you think gas prices will become stable for ever and ever.

JFR - I didn't say cheaper, I said financial sense

50 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So get on the blower to the bank, get a business loan and start building your own commercial windfarm.

I can't because the feed in tariff set by MUA is to low

6 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Genuine question...

If the wind turbine structure itself is "virtually indestructible" I take it it's the inner mechanical/electronic workings that will eventually render it "expired"?

If so, can't the turbines be made so that the inner workings can be replaced every so often so the "indestructible" structure can continue to be used?

There is some confusion here. I think @Cambonis talking about the Gas Turbines and not new windturbines

BTW - Neither are indestructible, not even virtually. Gas Turbines are notoriously high maintenance and need regular overhaul.