Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I can't because the feed in tariff set by MUA is to low

There's no such word as can't. 

Use your goodwill and influence to lobby politicos for a change in tariff.

Peel Group seem to think it's worth their time so I'm sure the Happy Diner Wind Farm Inc. ™️ can make it happen.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is some confusion here. I think @Cambonis talking about the Gas Turbines and not new windturbines

BTW - Neither are indestructible, not even virtually. Gas Turbines are notoriously high maintenance and need regular overhaul. 

Wind turbines. They have been trying to dispose of some old redundant ones in the USA. They ended up burying them. 

There is some confusion here. I think @Cambonis talking about the Gas Turbines and not new windturbines

BTW - Neither are indestructible, not even virtually. Gas Turbines are notoriously high maintenance and need regular overhaul. 

Wind turbines. They have been trying to dispose of some old redundant ones in the USA. They ended up burying them. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

Genuine question...

If the wind turbine structure itself is "virtually indestructible" I take it it's the inner mechanical/electronic workings that will eventually render it "expired"?

If so, can't the turbines be made so that the inner workings can be replaced every so often so the "indestructible" structure can continue to be used?

Theoretically yes, but as technology changes, old wind turbines have built in redundancy. Wait until they have to start disposing of all those in the Irish Sea! 

41 minutes ago, Cambon said:

There are companies in the US and other countries which will recycle wind turbines. Google is your friend. 

• Like 1

If the global warming/ weather change lobby really believe what they preach shouldn't they already have pushed to get waterways deeper and wider, sea defences sorted and greener energy?

They try and talk a good game but when it comes to practical activities such as Laxey river they fail dismally.

Instead of folk like Roxanne sitting waiting for their house to be inundated again they should be able to sit safely next to a widened, deeper river. instead. the unsatisfactory bridge was only replaced when it collapsed and then only by a narrow roadway with stupid uneccesary decoration features and a riverway that is still not adequate for the flow.

Edited by doc.fixit

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

If the global warming/ weather change lobby really believe what they preach shouldn't they already have pushed to get waterways deeper and wider, sea defences sorted and greener energy?

They try and talk a good game but when it comes to practical activities such as Laxey river they fail dismally.

Instead of folk like Roxanne sitting waiting for their house to be inundated again they should be able to sit safely next to a widened, deeper river. instead. the unsatisfactory bridge was only replaced when it collapsed and then only by a narrow roadway with stupid uneccesary decoration features and a riverway that is still not adequate for the flow.

I'm no expert on flood risk management. But from your post I am afraid neither are you. 

You would have to explain the benefit vs massive cost of making the lower stretch of a river deeper and wider. 

On 1/9/2023 at 4:14 PM, Cambon said:

Theoretically yes, but as technology changes, old wind turbines have built in redundancy. Wait until they have to start disposing of all those in the Irish Sea! 

Your message and posts are very confusing.  The blades and column of modern turbine should last 100 years. The motor should be good for 50 years with regular rewinds maybe every 20 years. 

Compared to anything else their green credentials are pretty good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm no expert on flood risk management. But from your post I am afraid neither are you. 

You would have to explain the benefit vs massive cost of making the lower stretch of a river deeper and wider. 

Do you mean as opposed to the infrastructure damage if nothing is done? 

Following your logic they should not widen bridges or have done the minor reclamation work that they have already done.

You really do attack the messenger rather than the point which was that the folk in question talk a good game but I don't really see the practical effects of their concerns. ( Not just Laxey of course).

I'm not going to enter an argument, I asked a question and would be interested in the answers which is why I asked that question.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 3