Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Seems a bit strange for a private company to want to build a solar plant on private land and expect the publicly owned power company to buy their electric.

Have contracts been signed that we aren't aware of?

But it’s Peel on land belonging to Whittaker down south and is to supply the peel Cannabis factory and science park they’re building at Cooil Road. They’re using the MUA distribution network, in effect. There’ll be a payment one way or other.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

What's strange? That's exactly how electricity started on the Isle of Man with a private companies supplying power. 

If rumour is to be believed Cannan wants MUA to step away from power generation.

They may sell if there’s a surplus. Private companies generated for their own needs, mainly MER, they supplied a very few households and associated companies, Palace, Derby Castle. Gaiety had its own plant.

Douglas Corpy started generating in 1921, Borough boundaries at first, then slow expansion into Onchan and central valley. Rest of Island wasn’t until late 1940’s from Peel. 

I had an aunt ( great great ) who lived in a cottage in Peel. I remember being 5 and fascinated by the hiss of gas lights. That would be 1961. Only 14 years after electric had become available. She never converted to the new fangled electric.

My second house,  in Castletown, in 1982, had very limited electric wiring. The gas pipes and sconces for gas lights were all in place.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

But it’s Peel on land belonging to Whittaker down south and is to supply the peel Cannabis factory and science park they’re building at Cooil Road. They’re using the MUA distribution network, in effect. There’ll be a payment one way or other.

They may sell if there’s a surplus. Private companies generated for their own needs, mainly MER, they supplied a very few households and associated companies, Palace, Derby Castle. Gaiety had its own plant.

Douglas Corpy started generating in 1921, Borough boundaries at first, then slow expansion into Onchan and central valley. Rest of Island wasn’t until late 1940’s from Peel. 

I had an aunt ( great great ) who lived in a cottage in Peel. I remember being 5 and fascinated by the hiss of gas lights. That would be 1961. Only 14 years after electric had become available. She never converted to the new fangled electric.

My second house,  in Castletown, in 1982, had very limited electric wiring. The gas pipes and sconces for gas lights were all in place.

JW? Since when did it become ok for MUA/government to make contracts, to buy 1/4 of its electricity from a 3rd party on a first come first served basis. Not going to happen. Surely a competitive tender will be required. 

This whole thing smacks of mischief to me.

When did cannabis farms need electricity......when its sunny.

This is a bluff.

9 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Efficient indoor farming uses relatively low power artifical (led) lighting. Solar can power that even when it is not sunny. It's amistake to assume that solar requires what we typically think of as sunshire. 

Solar power doesn't need sunshine. Now there's a statement if ever there was one!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

JW? Since when did it become ok for MUA/government to make contracts, to buy 1/4 of its electricity from a 3rd party on a first come first served basis. Not going to happen. Surely a competitive tender will be required. 

This whole thing smacks of mischief to me.

When did cannabis farms need electricity......when its sunny.

This is a bluff.

I’m going to turn it on its head for you. Where is it illegal for MUA to enter into contracts with commercial customers. We know it has special tariffs for commercial customers. 

Please share with us what you think the mischief is. 

The power usage for the cannabis production is high. It’s how lots of people get caught, unless they bypass the meter.  It’s no different to any in out solar in UK. Peel don’t have the land at Cooil Road.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The power usage for the cannabis production is high. It’s how lots of people get caught, unless they bypass the meter. 

I thought bypassing the meter was how they normally got caught eventually.  But of course part of the reason that energy use is so high in those circumstances is that the growing is illegal and hence has to be kept hidden.  Energy demands will still be high on a legal site but a lot of savings can be made (at least according to this Canadian website)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m going to turn it on its head for you. Where is it illegal for MUA to enter into contracts with commercial customers. We know it has special tariffs for commercial customers. 

Please share with us what you think the mischief is. 

The power usage for the cannabis production is high. It’s how lots of people get caught, unless they bypass the meter.  It’s no different to any in out solar in UK. Peel don’t have the land at Cooil Road.

Not illegal, but in contravention of the financial regulations.

As a statutory board of government they have an obligation to comply and no way thus would ever happen without the will of tynwald.

It's mischief. It's a  ig company trying to bully its way in. 

I reckon the MUA need this like we would like a hole in the head.

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I thought bypassing the meter was how they normally got caught eventually.  But of course part of the reason that energy use is so high in those circumstances is that the growing is illegal and hence has to be kept hidden.  Energy demands will still be high on a legal site but a lot of savings can be made (at least according to this Canadian website)

Absoluty. Well said. A legal farm would exploit natural sunlight as much as possible. 

I don't think cannabis farming has anything to do with this. 

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thermal imaging is the modern was way to spot illegal cannabis production especially from the air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1