Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

21 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Not sure if this one has already been raised but the Bollocksphere decided to advertise in the phone book... a useless publication using a large amount of paper wrapped in cellophane that ends up in the bin. 

https://twitter.com/BiosphereIOM/status/1617776885915856896?t=jGr_5OHCDi_7QhzKSLynjw&s=19

That looks to me as if they've been given the space for free - not as paid advertising.  And as they point out, the telephone directories are compostable (which may be the only use they get).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That looks to me as if they've been given the space for free - not as paid advertising.  And as they point out, the telephone directories are compostable (which may be the only use they get).

Even if it's free, it's really poor judgement.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I recently told my daughter to look in the Yellow pages for a window repair person, she asked if I kept a copy by my pension book - the very cheek!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Much talk tonight. Very interest. 

E9F5DAB2-F210-43B1-B1DE-19F26343AD7D.jpeg

6A1A3A46-EA84-47C7-A60C-48F4C98EB79E.jpeg

0CE5AFA4-412F-410D-BD55-0BB7844B2F2F.jpeg

One of the odd things I find about all these Biosphere events is that they mainly seem to be aimed at 'business'.  Of course how many people from business turn up or whether it's just the usual suspects is another matter, but even allowing for that there seems to be little effort to reach out to the wider public.  As with so much else it seems to be mainly about making soothing sounds to the 'right' people.  Which usually means each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/check-your-carbon-footprint-small-firms-advised/

No doubt they'll have some licensed software you'll need to certify this and it'll be on a subscription basis. Voluntaritly of course. Maybe you'll get a little badge or rating like an LED lamp*. So more red tape for no direct benefit to the business. And once enough fools sign up for it, it'll become mandatory and fees to register with the government. Meanwhile... China...India....

Wonder how long it'll be before you'll have an individual carbon dioxide score displayed on a badge if you want to use public amenities. 

*When all you can buy nowadays is LED, what is the point of the A-F rating if they are all A rated anyway?

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/check-your-carbon-footprint-small-firms-advised/

No doubt they'll have some licensed software you'll need to certify this and it'll be on a subscription basis. Voluntaritly of course. Maybe you'll get a little badge or rating like an LED lamp*. So more red tape for no direct benefit to the business. And once enough fools sign up for it, it'll become mandatory and fees to register with the government. Meanwhile... China...India....

Wonder how long it'll be before you'll have an individual carbon dioxide score displayed on a badge if you want to use public amenities. 

*When all you can buy nowadays is LED, what is the point of the A-F rating if they are all A rated anyway?

What qualifies this chap to be lecturing businesses on their carbon footprint?  And how did he get here?  Flying I presume?  Maybe bought fake carbon offset credits to greenwash the trip?

On 1/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, cissolt said:

What qualifies this chap to be lecturing businesses on their carbon footprint?  And how did he get here?  Flying I presume?  Maybe bought fake carbon offset credits to greenwash the trip?

Knows a guy called Del who'll send him a photo and a 'tificate to prove he planted two and half trees to offset the carbon. Cross me 'art guv'nor. As they say there is one born every minute.. unfourtunately they all seem to be in charge at the moment.

Meanwhile it looks like Crogga are jangling the shiny keys already, I hope they succeed. 

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

All the small businesses being told to check their carbon footprint should join together and scream 'its always fucking windy and you havent built any wind turbines, fuck off until you've done that and then we'll talk'.

Or just, haven't you noticed how many are closing. We're struggling to survive. Fuck off.

• Like 4