Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

They don't generate as much electricity as a big fuck off gas turbine though. So if you weren't convinced of climate change, why would you bother? 

New  test centre did it for me what an opportunity lost for even  a solar panel trial facing  east - west sun all day  and some high energy users around   if there was too much  power for the test centre , 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

New  test centre did it for me what an opportunity lost for even  a solar panel trial facing  east - west sun all day  and some high energy users around   if there was too much  power for the test centre , 

Yes, a strange decision. It's cheaper and better to fit solar at the same time as a roof. Retrofitting is not ideal. Hopefully we will see better planning in the future. 

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps Stu Peters has hit the nail on the head.  It is not good for the MUA to have their customers producing their own electricity, much better for the MUA to produce it and continue selling it.  There is a long time left on that loan. 

That's very true, but we must face up to this dilemma. The MEA debt is effectively our debt. Repayment of the debt was dependant on making money selling electricity at a profit.. Two things have scuppered that.

1. Gas prices 

2. Low carbon targets.

Both of these make paying that loan off impossible now. It's something we have no choice but to accept. 

I guess going forward, all we can ask is that the MUA and government make good decisions from this point forward. 

Edited by Happier diner

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's very true, but we must face up to this dilemma. The MEA debt is effectively our debt. Repayment of the debt was dependant on making money selling electricity at a profit.. Two things have scuppered that.

1. Gas prices 

2. Low carbon targets.

Both of these make paying that loan off impossible now. It's something we have no choice but to accept. 

I guess going forward, all we can ask is that the MUA and government make good decisions from this point forward. 

It is probably even simpler than that, and it is that any dreams of cheap electricity from renewables should be quashed right away.  We have a debt that needs to be paid off and the only way that will happen is through selling electricity.  No issue for renewable to be the aim from a carbon reduction angle, but very definitely not from a cheaper leccy angle. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is probably even simpler than that, and it is that any dreams of cheap electricity from renewables should be quashed right away.  We have a debt that needs to be paid off and the only way that will happen is through selling electricity.  No issue for renewable to be the aim from a carbon reduction angle, but very definitely not from a cheaper leccy angle. 

This.

Don't anybody start dreaming about falling electricity bills instigated by any form of local renewables because it's less about saving the planet and more about feeding our very own financial albatross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the MEA loan now owed to the government?

So the Govt (Treasury) is preventing the Govt (PO) reducing the bill it pays to the Govt (MEA) so that the Govt (MEA) can continue to repay  the Govt's loan.

Holistically speaking though that's costing the public more via the costs the Post Office passes on to the users. And the Govt is one of the PO's biggest users.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This.

Don't anybody start dreaming about falling electricity bills instigated by any form of local renewables because it's less about saving the planet and more about feeding our very own financial albatross.

Its all about achieving the carbon targets that government has set itself.

Rightly or wrongly. 

There is no other motivation. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Banker said:

As Stu say’s don’t come out with these plans & when someone submits application to reduce energy use it’s declined!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/peters-its-time-to-walk-the-walk-when-it-comes-to-climate-change/

Yes. That is a mystery. Seems one government board isn't aligned with another and neither are aligned with government. Apart from that it's pretty much all joined up thinking.......not!

Did I miss this, is the report flat out wrong, is it an example of next level Govt bullshitting or is it a joke?  I can't tell anymore. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/environment/isle-of-mans-green-energy-commitment-praised-by-nuclear-free-organisation-596674

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Did I miss this, is the report flat out wrong, is it an example of next level Govt bullshitting or is it a joke?  I can't tell anymore. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/environment/isle-of-mans-green-energy-commitment-praised-by-nuclear-free-organisation-596674

Let's wait and see what happens. Can they get permission, build a windfarm and install solar on government estate by 2026? 

I don't think 'ocean energy' has been mentioned locally.

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The single comment (so far) on that article is interesting. Bit of a mystery? 

12 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Let's wait and see what happens. Can they get permission, build a windfarm and install solar on government estate by 2026? 

I don't think 'ocean energy' has been mentioned locally.

Short answer - No.  I'd be willing to bet a significant sum that we definitely won't have 75% of our energy from renewables in the next 3 years.  When pigs fly on a snowball in hell. 

There are a couple of contributors who seem to have a weird obsession with tidal energy generation.  Also never happening over here. 

• Like 1