Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

More nonsense relating to the electric bus trials, on the NPM this morning. John Wannabe has called it virtue signaling of the highest order. He is correct, and it’s expensive and Daffy says it can do 200 miles on a charge. I doubt it will do that on a full load, complete with passengers, buggy’s and mobility scooters. It’s great that John Wannabe is pretending to the concerned but this is really fake, as he will do as he is told and vote for his pay packet, or where his next meal is coming from. He can’t do anything over Island Energy. John Wannabe is correct, when he says the island has more important things to spend taxpayers money on. Try Health, and Education being the main concerns. Try the Housing Situation etc. 

He is not dependent on toeing the line for his pay packet. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm no Daphne fan that's for sure. But on this one she may have a point. Hydrogen? How's that ever going to work here in tje next 20 years or so?

Theres plenty of contrary scientific research. She still hasn’t explained how everyones boiler is going to magically disappear in the next 10 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm no Daphne fan that's for sure. But on this one she may have a point. Hydrogen? How's that ever going to work here in tje next 20 years or so?

I don't know why highly experienced captains of industry are developing hydrogen tech when clearly they're wrong, because Daffy said so. 

How dare they go against Daffy's extensive experience and qualifications on the subject. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Theres plenty of contrary scientific research. She still hasn’t explained how everyones boiler is going to magically disappear in the next 10 years. 

The technology already exists but would require infrastucture changes ... which the island did just over a decade ago ago changing from LPG to Natural Gas.  

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

So £500,000 per bus. Then there are the charging points which will no doubt be between 72kVA-144kVA per bus for rapid charging at £10,000 each. And a mobile charging unit for the times when one runs out of juice. So no doubt the thick end of £10m to replace some of the buses. The old ones will be scrap value as presumably it's no longer environmentally or ethically acceptable to sell on dirty diesel vehicles?

Meanwhile, there are no decent bus station facilities in Douglas, Ramsey or Peel. £500,000 could go a long way to improving the current offering and would be a beter investment for future public transport users.

If you scrap a well functioning fossil fuel powered vehicle for a new electric one, you are not being 'green' imho. Manufacturing a new vehicle creates a large amount of baditives. Replacing vehicles that have served their time and are farting out fumes is another thing. But no propelled vehicle is green. My brother lives in the wilds of France, very much believes in causing as little damage to this earth as possible during our time on it. He researched buying an ev and decided not to in the end, because of the issues surrounding the batteries.

As an aside, I imagine the extra weight of these things will result in more tyre deterioration and more rubber etc in our hydrosphere?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, 2112 said:

They could build a modern bus station with a large canopy, toilet facilities, outdoor seating and modern technology for tickets etc. Not forgetting vending machines. This wouldn’t cost a fortune. I‘m afraid they are more interested in nice shiny new buses so they can dick wave, look important and be a protensous prat. 

'They' couldn't build such a structure for less then a small fortune, mate.

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I agree there is no way gas and oil boilers are going to magically disappear. There us no credible alternative as we stand. 

What I am saying is that hydrogen isn't a credible alternative either. 

Not sure what your contrary research tells you but

1. We can't put hydrogen  down a pipe we havnt got and

2. There's no one to put hydrogen down the pipe we have got. 

The only realistic option would be to generate our own hydrogen and use it to power pulrose. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I agree there is no way gas and oil boilers are going to magically disappear. There us no credible alternative as we stand. 

She just comes across as so unbelievably closed minded. It’s either her way or nothing. Same with the Crogga issue. She’s starting to come across as a proper zealot now which I don’t think is helpful when things and technology are changing so quickly. 

Every year the Island invites tens of thousands of visitors, many of whom ride motorbikes. The Island also hosts car rallies (vintage, luxury and otherwise). Collectively all of these economically-driven and government-encouraged events are emitting huge amounts of CO2, and inevitably push up the IOM’s ‘CO2 emissions per person’ ratio. Hence, it was no surprise to read headline published earlier this year: “The Isle of Man has higher per capita emissions than the UK”. I may be wrong, but I don’t remember any current MHK/ MLC including Daphne herself proposing to ban these events as a practical way to reduce our CO2 emissions. Instead, the IOMG hails them as prove that the Island’s economy is ‘flourishing’. At the same time the IOMG is keen to promote its green credentials by testing (during the TT, a mass celebration of gas-guzzling/ CO2-emitting entertainment) a single electric bus. This single electric bus, even a fleet of electric buses, will never ‘offset’ the CO2 emissions generated by the TT and other similar petrol-head events. With such poor green credentials there is not much point for the IOMG to twitch their noses disapprovingly at future offshore gas explorations – the Island may as well go whole hog and fully back Crogga……After all, ”in the long run we are all dead”.  

Despite which side of the argument about climate change catastrophe you are on, I think we can all agree on one assertion – many people in most governments (and our government is no exception) are a cohort of feeble-minded hypocrites. Unfortunately for us all, their weaknesses will be our collective downfall in more ways than one.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What I am saying is that hydrogen isn't a credible alternative either. 

Not sure what your contrary research tells you but

1. We can't put hydrogen  down a pipe we havnt got and

2. There's no one to put hydrogen down the pipe we have got. 

The only realistic option would be to generate our own hydrogen and use it to power pulrose. 

Daphne & cohorts are trying to bring ban on new builds with fossil boilers to this year from 2025 probably adding £10k to cost 

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Daphne & cohorts are trying to bring ban on new builds with fossil boilers to this year from 2025 probably adding £10k to cost 

This just puts further pressure on new-builds, the rate of construction had already halved [1] over the last 10 years (and that was before the 50% hike in mortgage payments and 25% hike in construction costs). Further pressure on the bottom earners.

[1] https://taxpayersalliance.im/new-data-reveals-collapse-in-manx-housing-construction/

• Like 2

The figures used to be reported incorrectly so anything prior to 2016 should be ignored because it included redevelopment. After that it is only additional new housing. The point being made is correct though, an average yield of c.200 new homes does not fit well with a target of 6,000 in the next three years!

8 minutes ago, english zloty said:

The figures used to be reported incorrectly so anything prior to 2016 should be ignored because it included redevelopment. After that it is only additional new housing. The point being made is correct though, an average yield of c.200 new homes does not fit well with a target of 6,000 in the next three years!

20 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

This just puts further pressure on new-builds, the rate of construction had already halved [1] over the last 10 years (and that was before the 50% hike in mortgage payments and 25% hike in construction costs). Further pressure on the bottom earners.

[1] https://taxpayersalliance.im/new-data-reveals-collapse-in-manx-housing-construction/

It doesn't seem to be cost that is holding up housing. They are selling like hot cakes. Therefore adding the extra cost of a heat pump is negligible and wont put buyers off. The issue seems to be building land.

• Sad 1