Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It doesn't seem to be cost that is holding up housing. They are selling like hot cakes. Therefore adding the extra cost of a heat pump is negligible and wont put buyers off. The issue seems to be building land.

Plenty of brown fields sites but the Nimbys always object to anything new by them, also government needs to get some other brownfield sites developed or sold eg park road, prison site Victoria road, lord street flats etc , also that owners of that continuing empty site opposite 1886 should be told to get it sold for flats or redevelopment themselves as no call for more office buildings in town 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It doesn't seem to be cost that is holding up housing. They are selling like hot cakes. Therefore adding the extra cost of a heat pump is negligible and wont put buyers off. The issue seems to be building land.

Ridiculous take - you don't think whether the net margin for housing schemes is 10% or 30% has a bearing on which come through? Bearing in mind these schemes may take 3 or 4 year to come to fruition requiring a lot of capital and investment, and Dandara and co. have large landbanked development areas. 

I don't disagree that zoning is too restrictive 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Ridiculous take - you don't think whether the net margin for housing schemes is 10% or 30% has a bearing on which come through? Bearing in mind these schemes may take 3 or 4 year to come to fruition requiring a lot of capital and investment, and Dandara and co. have large landbanked development areas. 

I don't disagree that zoning is too restrictive 

But, if you say an average new house is £400K, the extra cost of a heat pump is about 1.25% of the total purchase cost.

I don't know the reason for the holdup. I suspect its to keep the prices high (but I can't prove that)

Its got nowt to do with Heat Pumps

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

'They' couldn't build such a structure for less then a small fortune, mate.

Yes that’s true. But a simple design, no bells and whistles, could be affordable and, tick boxes. Sadly, every IOMG will need to interfere, needless rules and regulations will enter play. Not forgetting that no doubt there will be a Manx premium. I have seen simple bus interchanges with basic waiting areas under a modern canopy, toilet facilities and some manned to purchase tickets, or ticket machines. Vending machines for refreshments. The Lord Street site could be redeveloped easily without costing the earth, trouble is nobody wants to do anything unless it involves day dreaming pie in the sky, or ripping off the taxpayers. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But, if you say an average new house is £400K, the extra cost of a heat pump is about 1.25% of the total purchase cost.

I don't know the reason for the holdup. I suspect its to keep the prices high (but I can't prove that)

Its got nowt to do with Heat Pumps

Or if you say the build cost is £300k it's 10% of the margin

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Or if you say the build cost is £300k it's 10% of the margin

How do you work that out.

A heat pump system to replace an oil/gas system is about £5K more expensive. However in a new house that is not so.

This is because if you have a heat pump system you do not need any gas at all (or oil of course). Therefore the developer/building does not have to install gas pipes around the site or fit oil tanks.

I reckon with that in mind they are probably at worst cost neutral or at best cheaper.

I’m all for the electric buses. I think we should replace the entire fleet straight away. In fact, we should replace all the minibuses too. I mean, the health services will still be broken, we’ll still be pumping turds into Peel bay, but at least the current buses won’t be pumping out diesel fumes through their ultra low emission catalytic converter exhausts any more.

Be electric, be green, be bankrupt.

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I’m all for the electric buses. I think we should replace the entire fleet straight away. In fact, we should replace all the minibuses too. I mean, the health services will still be broken, we’ll still be pumping turds into Peel bay, but at least the current buses won’t be pumping out diesel fumes through their ultra low emission catalytic converter exhausts any more.

There's some heavy duty promotion of an electric bus fleet on IoM by "Go Green IoM" on FB at the moment, they appear to claim to have an answer for everything.....perhaps they should offer to buy the first couple as an example of goodwill and confidence in their stance.

• Like 3

Most people care for the environment, but spending on electric buses, powered by a gas powered power station, is just pandering those who are shouting the loudest, and whilst it looks good, the MHKs and other politicos can pat themselves on the back, indulging in dick waving safe in th knowledge that in the long term their pensions are safe, whilst cutbacks are made to accommodate the eco loons fantasies. How many £ms will it cost to replace the Bus Vannin fleet of buses and minibuses? It may have long term benefits but Joney Faragher MHK will still find something to complain about. Her constituents certainly won’t benefit much, if they have to pay higher costs to repay for the outlay, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

There's some heavy duty promotion of an electric bus fleet on IoM by "Go Green IoM" on FB at the moment, they appear to claim to have an answer for everything.....perhaps they should offer to buy the first couple as an example of goodwill and confidence in their stance.

Good at spending taxpayers funds, and too much conflict of interests involved. 

• Like 1

They won’t be happy until they have spent what is left of the 42 million that was, it has probably diminished considerably already with wages etc for the Green Team or Team Green as that sounds better that are costing now and will be costing our grandchildren with their fancy pensions.    People love spending money especially if it isn’t their own we have seen this illustrated with successive Governments.   Accountability is a stranger to councils and governments.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Mhks who are supporting the purchase of electric buses at this time need to give their heads a wobble. Ignoring the fact government don't have two pennies to scratch its collective arse with at the moment, to change a fleet before we embrace renewables is a nonsense. As usual we are rushing headlong into being virtuous and green without any common sense being applied. I am fully supportive of protecting the environment but we need realists to be in charge not the virtue signalling muppets at present. EV technology is changing at a huge rate and the public transport sector could be in a different place by the time we can really say that we can operate emissions free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Yes indeed, how many miles to a charge, I'm told 250 but that's usually manufacturer optimism? Then a nine hour recharge, so how many miles per day do our buses do on average? You wouldn't want to be pushing the limit of 250 miles late at night with a bus full of Peelites heading to Douglas to keep the night going! The other buses would all be on charge! 

Joney and her ilk talk as though they have some expertise in engineering when they say that we should be lashing out half a million a pop on these buses. I'd be interested to see the results of the trial and a proper feasibility study before opening my mouth! After this, there should be responsibility on the person recommending their operation to ensure their success, or there will be consequences!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Saw it parked up by the power station, charging I guess.  Utter madness to be even considering now as asitis points out.  I would rather they worked on providing a bus service that people would prefer to use over their cars, regular and reliable and not involving a change of bus to get, say, from Farmhill to the hospital. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1