Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

On 10/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, Phillip Dearden said:

This is correct but isn't it also silly?

You could divide the Earth's population up into 85k units and if each one concluded they were not big enough to matter and so continued to pollute and exploit then the planet becomes uninhabitable.

On the other hand each 85k unit could decide to do its bit and there might be a chance of sustainability?

Your logic to a degree is correct and noble but not every 85k unit is going to or trying to self finance the infrastructure required to go green as per the ARUP report which will cost billions . This is the nub of the problem , plant trees , reduce plastic and do what we can but it is going to cost the IOM a significant amount of money aka billions that we do not have  to truly participate in a net zero. We have to be realistic about it all and balanced. Germany has invested billions in its wind farm and renewable sector but still needs gas and currently investing billions to import LNG from the USA and else where as it did not want to go down the nuclear option . Wind and solar may be part of the solution but they do not provide the base load that is required . It not a simple equation unfortunately .

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

You can ask the chap behind the bar for a glass of tap water and he happily obliges . You only have to ask .

You shouldn’t have to ask the chap behind the bar, who is probably up to his eyes in customers. IOMG should install water bottle refill stations them downstairs and airside, especially as they are spouting eco crap all day long. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

You shouldn’t have to ask the chap behind the bar, who is probably up to his eyes in customers. IOMG should install water bottle refill stations them downstairs and airside, especially as they are spouting eco crap all day long. 

I won't use those filthy dispensers. Disgustingly unhygienic! 

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

I fly every other week ( not very environmentally friendly unfortunately for work) and the bar Is never busy unlike the coffee shop , I get a glass of water no problem. But agree a water filling station is a good idea but straight from the tap, nothing fancy  . The water filling station at Gatwick is a joke , trickles out and takes minutes to fill your water bottle, always a long queue and Overly complicated. All you need is a tap !!!

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

I’m all for new Housing etc, and spending your own money as you see fit, but the optics on this doesn’t look good. As some who has set themselves as ‘greener than green’ and is ‘holier than thou’, she is more do as I say than do. Also in this economic tightening times, it’s coming across as rubbing peoples noses in their wealth - like I’m considerably richer than you. 

Looks like they’re positioning themselves to cash in on some modern mega house with sea views. Best way to use that MHK salary while you have it is to play the property market and create some wealth for yourself while preaching about what a do-gooder you are. 

6 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Looks like they’re positioning themselves to cash in on some modern mega house with sea views. Best way to use that MHK salary while you have it is to play the property market and create some wealth for yourself while preaching about what a do-gooder you are. 

Will she be top of the pops for green home grants on her new mansion?  I look forward to the grand designs episode.

28 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Will she be top of the pops for green home grants on her new mansion?  I look forward to the grand designs episode.

Of course they’ll be grabbing every grant going. I bet they’ll even have a green sustainable fountain in the garden we’ll have paid for. The more I look at the plans the more I’m convinced she’s basically taking the piss with all this eco rubbish. It’s just more middle class money grabbing virtue-signaling under the guise of being a concerned citizen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Giving a free water is part of the licencing of pubs/ bars etc.

They have to by law give you a water so don't think the bloke in the airport is doing you a favor......... 🙂

17 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Giving a free water is part of the licencing of pubs/ bars etc.

They have to by law give you a water so don't think the bloke in the airport is doing you a favor......... 🙂

That’s not the point, lots don’t or won’t go to the bar including kids & a water fountain should be provided to fill to stop the plastic bottles being sold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

we had a chief minister that appeared to be very good at that !

https://archive.is/giLIK

Now, with the world already 1.2 degrees hotter, scientists believe that warming this century will most likely fall between two or three degrees. (A United Nations reportreleased this week ahead of the COP27 climate conference in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, confirmed that range.) A little lower is possible, with much more concerted action; a little higher, too, with slower action and bad climate luck. Those numbers may sound abstract, but what they suggest is this: Thanks to astonishing declines in the price of renewables, a truly global political mobilization, a clearer picture of the energy future and serious policy focus from world leaders, we have cut expected warming almost in half in just five years.

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I presume it's some bug in the system.  I went in via the map and all the documentation was showing but directly leads to a message saying there's no electronic documents (as would be the case only at the very start).  Under Application Details there's an interesting email exchange: 

This includes a quote from the applicant (presumably Chris Caine):

We applied to remove a number of trees following the damage to our phone/electricity lines plus the roof damage last year. (Applied for 11 to be felled but licence was granted for 18 to be removed after a site visit, mostly on safety grounds. One was needed for digger access to lower garden for clearing the water course of a metal/plastic structure put in before we bought the property.

Four of these trees remain to be felled along the roadside wall. There are no trees remaining adjacent to the house and the last one by the garage (next to the telegraph pole) is probably just within 15 metres but recommended to be felled and included on the licence. We may defer felling those final four until after this nesting season. But there are no trees now adjacent to the house – see photo taken at the weekend attached plus annotated photos issued by DEFA. I don’t believe there will be any trees within 15 metres once they are felled. And of course the two nearest across the road fell on our cars a few weeks ago and have been removed!

So it looks as if the main reason for felling the trees (at least those that hadn't fallen down already) was safety, justified by previous damage on several occasions. Given how steep the site looks and how wet the area is, it's not surprising trees are at danger of toppling once they get high enough.

They seem to have put off felling the last ones till after nesting.  The letter from the Manx Ornithological Society merely wants to make sure that the replacement property has places for house martins to nest (ie has suitable eaves).  Presumably the site is attractive to them because the water course mentioned provides mud for them.

'we may defer felling those final four until after the nesting season' should de more definitive given the MHK's position, imho.

To be honest, as a horticulturist who has worked on getting licences to remove trees, you are hardly going to say "we want to remove these specimens because they interfere with our view", are you?

I mean, it does sound legit, but without a site visit, who knows? It is much easier to take out trees now then it used to be, which is a shame imho.

Edit - as an aside, how defra have the audacity to be the nation's protector of trees when they seemingly took a decision a few years ago to give up trying to control dutch elm disease, which they had been managing well beforehand, is beyond me.

Edited by Hoops