Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I dunno. That's not my motivation for thinking its a good idea that's for sure. It just seems to make sense to me. 

I am not a massive greeny, but if we can generate cheap electricity from wind and heat our houses with that generated electricity it just seems (to me) to be a good and sensible thing to do.

Sounds utopian except the electricity won't be cheap! (Other than to generate).

They were on MR about the banning of putting fossil fuel boilers in new builds fairly soon the way it was put they are not banning installations in older property, have I got that right ?   I hope so because some properties are just not suitable for the new type heating, although I suppose all properties could have solar panels.   Perhaps if you were having a new roof it would not cost a lot extra to have the solar panels installed.    

The engineers installing ground and air source heat pumps are not particularly sold on the idea themselves, according to a friend who was having an installation done. Good insulation is crucial to the success of the installation and older premises may not be at all suitable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ADELE said:

They were on MR about the banning of putting fossil fuel boilers in new builds fairly soon the way it was put they are not banning installations in older property, have I got that right ?   I hope so because some properties are just not suitable for the new type heating, although I suppose all properties could have solar panels.   Perhaps if you were having a new roof it would not cost a lot extra to have the solar panels installed.    

Banned in any new builds or extensions confirmed from January 2025, so if you put extensions on eg conservatory, extra bedroom etc you can’t put existing fossil fuel into extensions so basically you will have to put complete new systems in to cover extensions.

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

Banned in any new builds or extensions confirmed from January 2025, so if you put extensions on eg conservatory, extra bedroom etc you can’t put existing fossil fuel into extensions so basically you will have to put complete new systems in to cover extensions.

How many extensions are that big that you have to put a new separate boiler in?

Its a non issue. You can add radiators from your existing system and if required you can swap the boiler to another fossil fuel one.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

The engineers installing ground and air source heat pumps are not particularly sold on the idea themselves, according to a friend who was having an installation done. Good insulation is crucial to the success of the installation and older premises may not be at all suitable.

That's because they would rather sell you a gas or oil one. Its correct though. You cannot do a like for like swap with any property unless its well insulated. Its likely that you would have to upsize the pipes and fit much bigger radiators as the radiators run cooler than with gas or oil.

It is possible to combine heat pumps with gas or oil. The heat pumps gets the water up to 56C, provides the hot water and then the oil or gas does the rest. You need space and money though.

Edited by Happier diner

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

That is my understanding. Not at this stage anyway. I think that is 2030

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yep because they rely on passivhaus type air tightness to work. No point in heating a sieve. That’s why I could never get my head around the EPC thing DFE cocked up (and hope people have forgotten about). At least DEFA had the right idea (but again cocked up). There’s a theme so I wonder what will happen with this (I predict a cock up). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Believe me it is possible to cock up a cock up just watch this space.     The overwhelming number of houses on the Island are just not suitable for these new heat systems, also they are cumbersome, unsightly and unless you have a big back yard take up considerable space.     If they were installed by everyone in a row of terraced houses the combined noise would be annoying, this was alleged in an article in the press.   I don’t think they have a lot going for them unless you have a really well insulated house with a decent sized back garden preferably detached.

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

How many extensions are that big that you have to put a new separate boiler in?

It’s a non issue. You can add radiators from your existing system and if required you can swap the boiler to another fossil fuel one.

No , the point being made was that you can’t add radiators from existing fossil fuel boiler into the extension , it’s got to be solar, air source etc