Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

The NPM (MR) has CM Cannan from yesterdays IOMG conference reacting to Rishi Sunaks decision to allow sales of petrol and diesel cars from 2035 rather than 2030. 

CM Cannan bangs on about uncertainty, tourists and new residents etc etc etc. Basically talking shit, as if anyone is going to take his opinion into account. He says COMIN are going to meet imminently in a bid to clarify the position, whatever that is supposed to mean? Perhaps that fighting talk is to keep Daffy Daffers and the Climate Change mob happy?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM (MR) has CM Cannan from yesterdays IOMG conference reacting to Rishi Sunaks decision to allow sales of petrol and diesel cars from 2035 rather than 2030. 

CM Cannan bangs on about uncertainty, tourists and new residents etc etc etc. Basically talking shit, as if anyone is going to take his opinion into account. He says COMIN are going to meet imminently in a bid to clarify the position, whatever that is supposed to mean? Perhaps that fighting talk is to keep Daffy Daffers and the Climate Change mob happy?

Perhaps the process will be:

- COMIN ask for new sub-committee of Climate Change team to be formed

- Team creates report with options and recommendations

- Report goes to consultation

- Tynwald debate said report

- End up doing what UK are doing

- Labour win Election. Change approach. IOM Government repeats above process.

• Like 1

A good bus service would help. Regular and far reaching, perhaps even free. 

Run direct buses from population (even small) centres to likely destinations, like the hospital, Tesco, central Douglas. So you can be in Farmhill, for example, and know that there will be a bus that takes you to Nobles, and know that it will run every hour or half hour without having to go into Douglas to change. 

You should be able to work out a bus journey from a to b without too much trouble. 

The free bus trial didn't work, but was it because the service wasn't actually useful to most people?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

BBC News - Heat-pump scheme 'one-dimensional', say heating firms

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66723928

Quite a few on new builds round here in Cornwall where it's 2 to 3°C warmer than the rock. The BBC article is somewhat flawed (below), you need a good level of insulation first.

He is not alone. While heat pumps can be installed in virtually any property, a briefing by the UK Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology in July said "most UK housing will need radiator upgrades to achieve good performance".

I have a 1976/1977 bungalow with reasonable insulation but a heat-pump of any type would struggle even with new (larger) radiators.

Should be mandatory in all new builds. 

• Like 2

Estimates have recently been made that implementing green aims will cost every UK household an extra £6,000 every year up to 2050!. 

Apparently Ramsey Commissioners were recently told that the IOM green fund (£40m) is for completing studies and reports, and is not for buying EV Refuse Wagons or solar street lights.

So, perhaps, if the £40m is ultimately to be wasted on consultants and administration it is time Government (Mrs Caine) to provide us with an estimate of how much extra we might be expected to pay to implement green aims in IOM?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manx Resident said:

Estimates have recently been made that implementing green aims will cost every UK household an extra £6,000 every year up to 2050!. 

Apparently Ramsey Commissioners were recently told that the IOM green fund (£40m) is for completing studies and reports, and is not for buying EV Refuse Wagons or solar street lights.

So, perhaps, if the £40m is ultimately to be wasted on consultants and administration it is time Government (Mrs Caine) to provide us with an estimate of how much extra we might be expected to pay to implement green aims in IOM?.

I haven’t seen one thing that the climate change team have done except spend loads in staff costs, sending out nice updates etc.

We can’t even get water filters in airport which is only one I know who haven’t got one, Liverpool have 2

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, GD4ELI said:

Quite a few on new builds round here in Cornwall where it's 2 to 3°C warmer than the rock. The BBC article is somewhat flawed (below), you need a good level of insulation first.

I have a 1976/1977 bungalow with reasonable insulation but a heat-pump of any type would struggle even with new (larger) radiators.

Should be mandatory in all new builds. 

To be fair, heat pumps are expensive and pretty useless. New builds should have individual electric heaters and hot water tanks like back in the ‘60/‘70s. The water can be heated by a combination of photovoltaic and solar tube (even a garden hose is fairly effective). All there air source / ground source solutions, even electric boilers are expensive money making ventures. Not “green” at all. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

To be fair, heat pumps are expensive and pretty useless. New builds should have individual electric heaters and hot water tanks like back in the ‘60/‘70s. The water can be heated by a combination of photovoltaic and solar tube (even a garden hose is fairly effective). All there air source / ground source solutions, even electric boilers are expensive money making ventures. Not “green” at all. 

Cobblers. I've seen heat pumps working very well in the Swiss Alps and here in Cornwall. All you need is (I reiterate) good insulation.

56 minutes ago, Banker said:

I haven’t seen one thing that the climate change team have done except spend loads in staff costs, sending out nice updates etc.

Have you access to the breakdown of associated costs, spending, etc., by the climate change team..? Where can it be found..? 

Edited by quilp

They won’t be working for nothing plus their ITIP and pensions until they retire, may have transport provided etc and what have they actually achieved…absolutely nothing , which could be for the good as when nothing is being done minimum amounts of money is being wasted.     They have forty two million pounds to play with or had at the beginning of this excercise of virtue signing shananigans.   Don’t expect any figures in writing anytime soon and you won’t be disappointed.

11 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

You may not need a lot of cash to instal a heat pump but you would need a small fortune to insulate the average property I would suggest.

Maybe to insulate an existing Manx stone house, but new builds are generally well insulated. I had good insulation added to my house (1976 bungalow), not too expensive and made a big difference. Also, I'm not someone who wants the whole house heated.