Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Does anywhere else in the world rely on one single massive offshore turbine?

A 20MW turbine doesn't exist yet, although admittedly they seem to being explored at the moment and appear to the maximum possible theoretical size using current technology albeit still commercially unviable.  Earystane = 5 x 5MW turbines which will be 150m - 200m tall.  Druidale = 10 x 2MW turbines at 100m.   A 20MW turbine would likely have to be around 350m tall (the height of the Eiffel Tower) and have blades that cover the area of approximately 10 football fields.     

The Chinese have built a 16mw one, which is 242m tall. Site one of them off the point and totally dominate the north irish sea

Edited by TheTeapot

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The Chinese have built a 16mw one, which is 242m tall. Site one of them off the point and totally dominate the north irish sea

Did they include figures of how many labourers were killed in the process of building them? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently the cable manufacturers of undersea cables, of which there are four worldwide, are totally sold out until 2030. This will determine how many projects go ahead on time. I'm not sure on land based cabling, but I imagine it may be the same, unless we are also planning for pylons?

Hence the reason Fred the Shred’s idea of helping people invest in PV panels is probably the most sensible way forward. No massive projects. No massive upgrade to the existing network. No huge expense in purchasing white elephants. All of which means it will not happen. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Encouraging more people to invest in Solar would be great people I know who have had roof panels installed reckon it has been really effective  inreducing their electricity bills.

I guess if you’ve got £15/20k to spare it’s really good value ! 

Edited by Banker

37 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Hence the reason Fred the Shred’s idea of helping people invest in PV panels is probably the most sensible way forward. No massive projects. No massive upgrade to the existing network. No huge expense in purchasing white elephants. All of which means it will not happen. 

It wont happen because its cheaper to use bigger roofs that already exist than 'help' those than can afford, paid for by those who cannot

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

Apparently the cable manufacturers of undersea cables, of which there are four worldwide, are totally sold out until 2030. This will determine how many projects go ahead on time. I'm not sure on land based cabling, but I imagine it may be the same, unless we are also planning for pylons?

They can make new ones cant they? Sounds like a gap in the market for someone

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They can make new ones cant they? Sounds like a gap in the market for someone

@Max Power have you a link to this limited 4availability in the cable supply market? I did do a quick search on it but could find nothing relative.

Interesting that there's a consideration for a 1500km geo-thermal pipeline carrying energy from Iceland to Scotland. Great idea. 

34 minutes ago, quilp said:

Interesting that there's a consideration for a 1500km geo-thermal pipeline carrying energy from Iceland to Scotland. Great idea. 

Interesting.  Cable or pipe?  Would have thought piping geo-thermal heat from that far, it would cool down? 

• Like 1