Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

9 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

If they are hell bent on having a wind farm, which I am not against but think it is premature, why don’t they do it properly and have enough turbines installed that would serve the whole Island.    If four will serve a quarter of the population that would be 16 by my reckoning whilst they are at it do a proper job not twiddling around with a few there will be the same amount of upheaval landing them , transporting them and installing them.   Grasp the nettles if there is a determination to follow this course.      Myself I would have gone for solar first and then in a few years time when turbines have been improved gone for them.

Firstly wind turbines have been around for at least 30 years. They are not likely to significantly improve any more (not sure what improvement you are after). 

I don't know why, but it's common to only install about 60% of your peak power demand using wind/solar.

3 hours ago, Billy Bleach said:

Well she can’t possibly find a solution before the next general election as then she’d be accountable for something before she buggers off and takes her pension. They should just bin off all these climate change dickheads who are hellbent on bankrupting us even worse then we’re bankrupt already. 

She is the biggest hypocrite in government. She spouts eco talk but then does things like objecting to the sewage works in Laxey, instead campaigning for a solution that involves numerous pumping stages. 

Sounds like her message changes with the wind😄

Edited by Happier diner

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Slight flaw in you arguement though. A PV installation on a roof is between £6000 and £10,000.

£2000 wouldn't even pay for the scaffolding.

That takes it to £250M.

Add the cost of an interconnector and you are approaching geothermal costs. Surprised you have mentioned tidal as well..

Not true. 6-10K is for a much bigger system probably with battery backup. No batteries involved here. Only 2KW of PV panels and a sine wave inverter, bought and installed by the government so no vat or additional installation costs. Buying the equipment in bulk will lower the price too, so £2000 is about right. 

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

Not true. 6-10K is for a much bigger system probably with battery backup. No batteries involved here. Only 2KW of PV panels and a sine wave inverter, bought and installed by the government so no vat or additional installation costs. Buying the equipment in bulk will lower the price too, so £2000 is about right. 

FWIW no VAT on solar installations.

53 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Bollocks not even Uk government could install for £2k per house 

Everything man invents gets improved I don’t expect you are old enough to remember the first T. V,s  or the old black telephones or washing machines or Hoovers , on a bigger scale old planes, anything and everything is constantly being  worked on to try and improve their performance .   Perhaps a stronger, lighter material could be used, perhaps they could be improved in different ways.    If they have been around 30 years they must have been improved and made more efficient through the years.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

2kw. Why wouldnyouneven bother.

If you can do it for £2k though, tell me when you are free and I'll book you in.👍

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Everything man invents gets improved I don’t expect you are old enough to remember the first T. V,s  or the old black telephones or washing machines or Hoovers , on a bigger scale old planes, anything and everything is constantly being  worked on to try and improve their performance .   Perhaps a stronger, lighter material could be used, perhaps they could be improved in different ways.    If they have been around 30 years they must have been improved and made more efficient through the years.   

Sorry you are wrong. Wind turbines are very simple. Like I said they have changed very little 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry you are wrong. Wind turbines are very simple. Like I said they have changed very little 

turbines first emerged more than a century ago. Following the invention of the electric generator in the 1830s, engineers started attempting to harness wind energy to produce electricity. Wind power generation took place in the United Kingdom and the United States in 1887 and 1888, but modern wind power is considered to have been first developed in Denmark, where horizontal-axis wind turbines were built in 1891 and a 22.8 metre wind turbine began operation in 1897. The modern wind power sector emerged in the 1980s.

6 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

If four will serve a quarter of the population that would be 16 by my reckoning whilst they are at it do a proper job not twiddling around with a few there will be the same amount of upheaval landing them , transporting them and installing them.

Because you can't supply the whole grid with a variable power source.