Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

Just now, Max Power said:

We'll see about that, in their rush of green conscience we will probably end up spending twice what was estimated for something which doesn't deliver! 

Just don't let DOI management near it, get a UK contractor to run the project. It's only 5 turbines, a very small project in the great scheme of wind plants.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/orsted-to-engage-with-residents-about-islands-first-offshore-wind-farm/

Why are we considering onshore wind when this is in the offing? 

'Manx Solutions to Manx Problems?'

We wonder why Basking Shark sightings are slipping, apparently the geological surveys and noise from wind farms underwater is intense and is suspected to be the cause of increased number of whale beachings! Greenpeace are aware, but their directors are so personally invested in offshore wind, that they will not threaten their own capital!

Offshore is much, much more expensive to build and maintain.  It's just the basking sharks and whales don't moan when you ruin their view.  

I'm doubtful about those basking shark and whale claims however.  Basking shark sightings here have been decreasing year on year for the last 10 years.  The windfarms are pretty new.  They seem to have moved further north.  Increased sightings around N Ireland and Scotland.   Consistently the biggest whale strandings are around NZ and they have neither offshore wind nor any meaningful oil production. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Just don't let DOI management near it, get a UK contractor to run the project. It's only 5 turbines, a very small project in the great scheme of wind plants.

It was a UK contractor that built the Liverpool ferry terminal. It was a UK consultant who designed it. It was a UK consultant that project managed it. It was a UK cost consultant. It was a UK quantity surveyor.  It was a UK consultant that supervised the construction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It was a UK contractor that built the Liverpool ferry terminal. It was a UK consultant who designed it. It was a UK consultant that project managed it. It was a UK cost consultant. It was a UK quantity surveyor.  It was a UK consultant that supervised the construction. 

....... and a bunch of idiots that kept giving it the go ahead !

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

but sadly its the MANX people who are going to have to pay for it ! and pay dearly !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

And your point is?

was a  proper  feasability study carried out in the first place as to its viability , restrictions on use  and not forgetting  the eye watering cost , it would be interesting to know who was actually looking after our interests  during these (if any) discussions , and we still don't know the final  construction , dredging or servicing   cost,  or how much the staff and operating costs are going to be ?  thats my point !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Omobono said:

was a  proper  feasability study carried out in the first place as to its viability , restrictions on use  and not forgetting  the eye watering cost , it would be interesting to know who was actually looking after our interests  during these (if any) discussions , and we still don't know the final  construction , dredging or servicing   cost,  or how much the staff and operating costs are going to be ?  thats my point !

I've got no idea. I was merely pointing out to the poster that just because a UK 'contractor' is used, that is no guarantee of success. 

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I've got no idea. I was merely pointing out to the poster that just because a UK 'contractor' is used, that is no guarantee of success. 

Ultimately, the responsibility sadly rests with whichever muppets appointed the said consultant, accepted their advice, didn't keep a reign on spending, didn't show the slightest bit of strategic business acumen in respect of freight access and worst of all, haven't long ago called it a day before the thing got completely out of control.

Alf speaks about growing the population, however the funds needed to make the island attractive to young families again have been blown on things which, frankly should have come a long second to the island infrastructure and services.

I fear we are about to repeat the process to virtue signal to the world about our green credentials, if we are not careful the island will be a rock with it's own power supply, and a dwindling population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's exactly it - you have no idea. Doesn't stop you posting a ridiculous argument.