Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Peel Holdings the company who were originally going to build the terminal for free to allow access to the existing terminal.

I think you might be getting confused. Peel Holdings are an investment company/developer. They do not do contracting.

Its true that they might have been more selective with their choice of contractor, although it seems not

https://www.cheshireandwarrington.com/latest-news/peel-l-p-environmental-kick-starts-second-phase-at-protos/

I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree and confusing your terms

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think you might be getting confused. Peel Holdings are an investment company/developer. They do not do contracting.

Its true that they might have been more selective with their choice of contractor, although it seems not

https://www.cheshireandwarrington.com/latest-news/peel-l-p-environmental-kick-starts-second-phase-at-protos/

I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree and confusing your terms

You appear to have lots of knowledge with regards to Engineering contracts perhaps the DOI/Treasury should have employed you and we could have saved a ourselve's fortune or you are employed by the DOI and are trying to make excuses about why we have been well and truly shafted. I should have stated Peel ports were the company who offered to replace the existing terminal to enable Peel ports to redevelop the landing stage for cruise ships if my memory is correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Uk government increasing grants for heat pumps, very generous. Also Jersey giving £3k for e/vs purchase. IOMG system is complicated & not much money in comparison.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/heat-pump-grant-increased-to-7-500-by-government-in-efforts-to-lower-pollution-and-bills-12990844

IOMG prefers to punish its citizens, to pummel them into submission in order to meet goals, then the can dick wave on the world stage as to how good they are …………… world leading. 

17 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

You appear to have lots of knowledge with regards to Engineering contracts perhaps the DOI/Treasury should have employed you and we could have saved a ourselve's fortune or you are employed by the DOI and are trying to make excuses about why we have been well and truly shafted. I should have stated Peel ports were the company who offered to replace the existing terminal to enable Peel ports to redevelop the landing stage for cruise ships if my memory is correct.

I am not an expert in engineering contracts. I do have experience of them and a working knowledge. I do not work for the DOI and I am not defending them. They are ultimately accountable for it and all its mistakes and overspend. I only correct when someone has got the wrong end of the stick.

I am not an expert on landing stages either. I agree that someone along the line has made a massive cockup. There is a possibility that it might be due to either

1. Poor site investigation and inadequate design
  2. Selection of the wrong form of contract
  3. Unreasonable expectations

or all of the above!

With regard the the Peel Ports thing. I don't know why that didn't go ahead. There is no guarantee that they would not have had a better experience of course but one gets the feeling they wouldn't. They do have a chequered history though

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/peel-ports-silent-over-delays-to-liverpool-2/

Someone will come along and tell us why the Peel Ports development/deal didn't go ahead.

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

With regard the the Peel Ports thing. I don't know why that didn't go ahead. There is no guarantee that they would not have had a better experience of course but one gets the feeling they wouldn't. They do have a chequered history though

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/peel-ports-silent-over-delays-to-liverpool-2/

According to Wiki, Liverpool 2 opened on 4 November 2016, so later than the original date in that article, but still in the same year.  Unlike some.

58 minutes ago, Banker said:

Unfortunately here I can’t private landlords getting any incentive or financial help to replace traditional heating with low carbon heating, mainly because politicos and civil servants seem to hate any private landlord, with the mantra private landlord bad, tenant good philosophy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Jersey has even less requirement for one. And less money to waste! 

loads of small Islands  and big rocks between jersey and guernsey ideal for  wind turbines  and would also make excellent areas for future   lobster and crap pot fishing , one thing about the channel islands they wont rush into this without weighing up all the pros and cons , not like our idiots who pass the legislation  before understanding how much its going to cost to deliver 

24 minutes ago, Omobono said:

loads of small Islands  and big rocks between jersey and guernsey ideal for  wind turbines  and would also make excellent areas for future   lobster and crap pot fishing , one thing about the channel islands they wont rush into this without weighing up all the pros and cons , not like our idiots who pass the legislation  before understanding how much its going to cost to deliver 

Thing is they already get cheap nuclear power via interconnects from France. They (supposedly) have sufficient resilience should that fail. There really is little point.

On your fishing point, you do realise that the installation of offshore wind turbines absolutely destroys the surrounding sealife? Not just the sea bed. Everything. But it is all progress, I suppose! 

49 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Thing is they already get cheap nuclear power via interconnects from France. They (supposedly) have sufficient resilience should that fail. There really is little point.

On your fishing point, you do realise that the installation of offshore wind turbines absolutely destroys the surrounding sealife? Not just the sea bed. Everything. But it is all progress, I suppose! 

Do you have a reference for that fact? How does that work? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You were not long a go advocating offshore.