Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Do you have a reference for that fact? How does that work? 

If you are talking about the destruction of the sea bed, cement is poisonous, so kills any life around it. As for other sea life, installation / anchoring to the sea bed requires considerable blasting, which kills fish and most other sea life.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If you are talking about the destruction of the sea bed, cement is poisonous, so kills any life around it. As for other sea life, installation / anchoring to the sea bed requires considerable blasting, which kills fish and most other sea life.

I'm not convinced.  Once erected I suspect the turbines will provide a haven for fish to shelter away from trawlers. Shellfish will have a good base to anchor to.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Cement is not poisonous. Lots of fish in harbours. 

look at a map of the sea around jersey and Guernsey  its a mass  of small islands and sizeable  rocks  should not be a problem utilising some of these as a base for wind turbines ,  they also have a very  a successsful crab and lobster fishery  mostly  caught be small boats   all sustainable 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What is the poisonous element of concrete.

Lime. It dissolves easily in water (water soluble) and drastically changes the pH of water increasing the alkalinity (pH 11-13), which causes burns (just like an acid burn) on fish and kills fish and other aquatic life.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Lime. It dissolves easily in water (water soluble) and drastically changes the pH of water increasing the alkalinity (pH 11-13), which causes burns (just like an acid burn) on fish and kills fish and other aquatic life.

Ha Ha. How much lime would it take to alter the pH of the sea. I'll give you a clue. A lot more than there is in a few blocks of cement. Possibly more than all of the lime in the world.

Sorry mate. That just is nonsense. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Ha Ha. How much lime would it take to alter the pH of the sea. I'll give you a clue. A lot more than there is in a few blocks of cement. Possibly more than all of the lime in the world.

Sorry mate. That just is nonsense. 

I guess you missed biology class when they talked about food chains. You see, our seaweed cannot grow where there is too much lime. If there is no seaweed, there are no small crustaceans, sea horses, small fish. In which case, no bigger fish. 
Your few blocks of cement (sic) are actually hundreds of tonnes of cement over a large area. The amount of work to install these “few blocks of cement” will decimate the area, and the lime will prevent it returning to normal for decades. 

15 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I guess you missed biology class when they talked about food chains. You see, our seaweed cannot grow where there is too much lime. If there is no seaweed, there are no small crustaceans, sea horses, small fish. In which case, no bigger fish. 
Your few blocks of cement (sic) are actually hundreds of tonnes of cement over a large area. The amount of work to install these “few blocks of cement” will decimate the area, and the lime will prevent it returning to normal for decades. 

When I look at the breakwater in low tide I see seaweed attached to the side. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I didn't miss biology class (well only a few😁)

Its worth considering this though. In the world of water and the wider environment, water is often collected in concrete conduits. It often goes into reservoirs that are concrete dams. To water works that are made of concrete and into storage reservoirs......yes...made of concrete. The water that we have used invariable runs through concrete sewer pipes into sewage works that are also concrete structures and then through concrete sewers into Rivers which run in concrete channels and into the sea. Concrete is in every aspect of out lives and our built environment.

Despite this we have survived OK up to now. Not a burnt lip in sight

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I didn't miss biology class (well only a few😁)

Its worth considering this though. In the world of water and the wider environment, water is often collected in concrete conduits. It often goes into reservoirs that are concrete dams. To water works that are made of concrete and into storage reservoirs......yes...made of concrete. The water that we have used invariable runs through concrete sewer pipes into sewage works that are also concrete structures and then through concrete sewers into Rivers which run in concrete channels and into the sea. Concrete is in every aspect of out lives and our built environment.

Despite this we have survived OK up to now. Not a burnt lip in sight

You forgot to mention that the Romans were using vast amounts of concrete over 2,000 years ago.

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

It's poisonous only in the sense that it increases the PH.  BUT the lime basically washes out after a week or two once the cement is fully cured, probably faster in an environment with flowing water i.e the sea.  In our temperate seas, the seaweed will start to grow quickly, within a few weeks. 

There have been quite a few studies focusing upon the creation of marine habitats from these windfarms, but it is still early days.  Initial results and studies seem to suggest that the shelter created actually increases available habitats and biodiversity.  This is why they sink old ships to create artificial reefs.