Hospice

Asthehills

Just now, Asthehills said:

Is anyone able to explain the connection between Hospice and government for me please?

I always assumed Hospice was a self supporting charity separate to Government?

They have a contract to provide clinical services to IOMG , not sure of exact terms but it’s in excess of £2m pa but only covers part of costs again not sure but think less than 50%

This is similar to lots of charities who provide services on contracts to IOMG, they do it much more efficiently at less costs but never get the money they need 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Is anyone able to explain the connection between Hospice and government for me please?

I always assumed Hospice was a self supporting charity separate to Government?

It is, to a degree. 

They supply some clinical services to IOMG/Manx Care for a price. 

Just now, Banker said:

They have a contract to provide clinical services to IOMG , not sure of exact terms but it’s in excess of £2m pa but only covers part of costs again not sure but think less than 50%

This is similar to lots of charities who provide services on contracts to IOMG, they do it much more efficiently at less costs but never get the money they need 

Ah ok.  I still found this a bit of a surprise though.

4BD55DDC-2743-4ECF-AE39-E9119604ED24.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

I agree.

I'm sure the patient transport service that was run by the Red Cross cost significantly less than the present arrangement (with or without tangibles such as depreciation on the vehicles etc).

• Like 1

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

I agree.

I'm sure the patient transport service that was run by the Red Cross cost significantly less than the present arrangement (with or without tangibles such as depreciation on the vehicles etc).

They’ve seriously cut back on patient transport and in particular the services collecting patients to take to the airport for patient transfer flights. The PT office are applying the eligibility criteria under the 2004 Regs really strictly 

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’ve seriously cut back on patient transport and in particular the services collecting patients to take to the airport for patient transfer flights. The PT office are applying the eligibility criteria under the 2004 Regs really strictly 

It’s costing a lot of money to run & some people who can easily afford to pay were/are treating PTS as a free taxi to airport & hospital appointments 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the accounts show a government grant of £ 592,572 in the last two years, so it's less than you think (Total running costs for 2021 were over £6 million.  They also got  government salary support scheme to the value of £820k, mostly in 2020.

However they also say:

As has been the case for many years, the Hospice received a grant from the IOM DHSC of £592k. With effect from 1 April 2021, our contractual arrangements were transferred to Manx Care. Following extensive negotiation a new service level agreement is in the process of being finalised. The good news is that the need for an uplift in funding has been recognised so that for 2022 onwards we can expect annual stepped uplifts to get us to an agreed benchmark funding mechanism of 50% of core clinical staffing costs within three years. This has already been reflected in 2022/23 with an agreed uplift to £896,000. This increased level of certainty will add a greater deal of substance to our financial planning in future years.

There are very few people who get a free taxi to the airport or hospital appointments if any.   There is a patient transport mini bus that can be accessed through a hospital department if you fit the criteria i.e. I got the service through a department of RCH because I could not drive through injury and had no one who could take me wait while I had my treatment and bring me home.    It is an invaluable service with lovely drivers and the busses are equipped to take wheel chairs.    These busses also serve the airport.     Please get your facts right and count yourself lucky you are not ill and needing this great service.

• Like 1