Hospice

Asthehills

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Three paid workers, three volunteers and 7 service users. We actually didn’t chat or support. There was a guest speaker who droned on about “mindfulness”, something I’m pretty dubious about.

I decided not to go back. It wasn’t for me. In fact I found it offensive and annoying.

i'm not sure  if spouting about mindfulness is one step above or below some shyster in a dog collar.  either way, well below me having the time of day to bother listening at all.

4 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Hospice is amazing and worth every penny. They do so much more than people imagine. 

Maybe the government could look at charities that are leeching monies that could goto Hospice, there are so many charities. In no way am I saying that the other charities are not worthy but from an admin and fund raising point of view, perhaps it isn't necessary to have 7000 charities all for the same thing. (This is a nutshell view of a much deeper thought)

Or maybe Hospice should concentrate on core services? 

There’s a limited pot of charitable giving here.

Theres lots of competition for the pool of funds. Hospital equipment, cancer, animals all do well.

My experience of some of them has been that as they develop they “professionalise”, volunteers are eased out, and all of a sudden all the funds are spent on premises and paid staff. They’re businesses all but in name.

Some of the services offered by hospice would be offered by Maggie’s in the UK. I hear there may be an attempt to fundraise and establish a Maggie’s here. Possibly duplicating services now offered by hospice.

Its a really difficult one. I really admire the men and women who fundraise for the breast ward, scanners, the people who organise isle of woman, etc. they do a brilliant job. 

• Like 1

Just now, WTF said:

i'm not sure  if spouting about mindfulness is one step above or below some shyster in a dog collar.  either way, well below me having the time of day to bother listening at all.

+1

was at blood clinic today. On way out I met a former colleague waiting and wearing his dog collar. I asked whether he was dressed to scare patients. He had the grace, or good humour, to laugh. 

I’ve got an uncle who is a retired Methodist minister. Ran the  Methodist missions in central Liverpool and then Sheffield for 30 years. Was circuit leader. Then vice chair or president of Conference one year. Respect every bit of his work except the Sunday service.

He was good enough to visit when I was in Liverpool Royal for 11 weeks. Several times. But I did feel I had to ask he removed the dog collar, and he did.

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Head of Finance. Part-time 22.5 hours per week. Salary c. £54,000 - £60,000 (pro rata depending on skills and experience). - not bad for a part timer

But pro rata means they won't get it.  Assuming a 37.5 hour 'standard week, they'll get a salary in 60% of that range.  So £32,400 - £36,000 for those hours.

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Or maybe Hospice should concentrate on core services? 

There’s a limited pot of charitable giving here.

Theres lots of competition for the pool of funds. Hospital equipment, cancer, animals all do well.

My experience of some of them has been that as they develop they “professionalise”, volunteers are eased out, and all of a sudden all the funds are spent on premises and paid staff. They’re businesses all but in name.

I suppose it depends what we consider a "core service" to be.  Beyond the obvious in-patient wards for adults and children, I think we will all have slightly different ideas about which services Hospice provide are "essential" and which services are not.

And then it also depends who we want to deliver these services? Volunteers do a lot around Hospice- reception is run by volunteers- but I'm not sure we'd want volunteer nurses.

As for "businesses in all but name", they're not businesses as they're not designed to make a profit. But these sorts of charities should be business-like and professional. If they're not, if they're just well-meaning amateurs winging it, then things go very wrong very quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But pro rata means they won't get it.  Assuming a 37.5 hour 'standard week, they'll get a salary in 60% of that range.  So £32,400 - £36,000 for those hours.

based on the lower 54K that's just over £27.50 an hour then !! a very good wage in the eyes of most people i would guess 

Edited by WTF