More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

That has not turned or produced electricity in many a long year,neither have the air filters scrubbed any air. Why do you think they no longer collect air samples around Douglas, the readings are off the charts and would see any local orthoritie ie the gov putting public at risk. 

Where does this information come from please?

I was told they were sometimes generating power only a few weeks ago?

I would love to see any info that supports the claim That air quality around Douglas is “off the charts”. The last data I saw which was only collected this year suggested quite the opposite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

It's not working in the UK, though.

I had it where I was living in the UK, before I moved here, and it was horrible. It'll be equally horrible here.

I'm against it simply because I've lived with it before and it was nasty.

ETA: where I lived before also had proper recycling wheelie bins, paper/plastic/tin in the bin and a caddy for glass. Batteries and fabric could be left in a bag in the caddy too. And, despite doing it properly, it was still disgusting opening the normal bin with two-week-old waste nicely stewing in the bottom.

Personally I think you are talking rubbish. Since my last post, I have contacted several friends and relatives and yes, at first is was difficult. They then gave it chance and now work with it. Before you start spitting your vitriol once more, a few of them have young children in nappies. 

Welcome to the Isle of Man where they don’t like change.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

That has not turned or produced electricity in many a long year,neither have the air filters scrubbed any air. Why do you think they no longer collect air samples around Douglas, the readings are off the charts and would see any local orthoritie ie the gov putting public at risk. 

I think you need to check that. 

36 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Well according to their website:

We process the island’s domestic and commercial waste at the energy-from-waste facility that we designed, built, and operate, and generate 10% of the island’s electricity. The facility’s state-of-the-art technology and onsite laboratory ensure the highest environmental and operational standards are maintained.

You can see the electricity generation figures here and the emissions monitoring information here or download our latest annual report for an overview of the previous year at the facility.

So you can click on the links for the details.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NoTailT said:

It only ended up working in the UK because everyone ended up with 4 wheelie bins for different reasons and each one is collected differently over the fornight. That's 4 different bins being collected on different days.

Of all things for the council to focus saving money on, this does seem like the most silly still.

Not true.

The compostable waste , food waste, grass cuttings etc is collected every week.

Alternate weeks paper/cardboard, general waste, recycling consisting of glass, cans and bottles.

So it's a three week cycle with food, garden, compostable waste collected every week.

How DBC have arrived at a two week cycle for everything needs explaining...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Not true.

The compostable waste , food waste, grass cuttings etc is collected every week.

Alternate weeks paper/cardboard, general waste, recycling consisting of glass, cans and bottles.

So it's a three week cycle with food, garden, compostable waste collected every week.

Ah I wasn't far off! They still ended up with 3 or 4 bins rather than one.

The problem with DBC is that it is filled with people who think they're more intelligent than they actually are and they must know best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Ah I wasn't far off! They still ended up with 3 or 4 bins rather than one.

The problem with DBC is that it is filled with people who think they're more intelligent than they actually are and they must know best.

4 bins.

But, crucially, it not only works but works well.

However it may not suit the island's current strategy about dealing with household waste...

Just now, P.K. said:

4 bins.

But, crucially, it not only works but works well.

However it may not suit the island's current strategy about dealing with household waste...

I hate suggesting this because it would probably never work in IOM practicalities.

But why can't we have joined up bin collections with one focused all-Island strategy? More bins, frequent collections, as with the UK? But not separated by authority area, one single unified collection provider.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

Well, not really. I called for assistance as although I'm not concerned about two week collections personally, I am disabled and concerned about missing one for one reason or another, and ending up with a months rubbish festering. I was told that they would send a form in the post, even though I was happy to have one emailed. It didn't arrive but I found it on the Council website. I now have a six week wait to get it signed and stamped by my doctor. This, because Council workers will not collect from the rear of my house, which they used to do, as it's an unadopted lane, but they will if I have a red bin lid!!   

get a tin of red paint then ?  there could be a song derived from the Alice in  wonderland animated classic , 'we're painting the bin lids red '

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

££££££££££££££££ that they think they've saved by halving the number of trips to the EFW.