More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

I’m on that committee and the complaints were apparently due to the vehicles that carry the water. It also costs time and money. No idea how many residential streets actually had baskets but I can check. There are over 600 in public places. 

Oh gawd..... here we go again.... "it costs time and money". Of course it does but DBC is being paid handsomely by the ratepayers for providing those services (notwithstanding the noise issue).

I thank God I don't live in the City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I’m on that committee and the complaints were apparently due to the vehicles that carry the water. It also costs time and money. No idea how many residential streets actually had baskets but I can check. There are over 600 in public places. 

Read the minute. The new policy is no hanging baskets in predominantly residential areas. And it’s explicitly stated that it will affect 5 baskets on one residential street.

Obviously there won’t be complaints from other residential streets, as there are no baskets hung to get watered.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I just wish posters would read what others have posted and look for the facts and ask the real questions, instead of moaning.

Good luck with that.

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Oh gawd..... here we go again.... "it costs time and money". Of course it does but DBC is being paid handsomely by the ratepayers for providing those services (notwithstanding the noise issue).

Well Amadeus said there were more than 600 hanging baskets and only five in Princes Street were going.  So there will be still be more than 595 to keep the ratepayers happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Oh gawd..... here we go again.... "it costs time and money".

Costs time and money. They still can’t explain what’s happened to all the new LED lighting on the prom which has apparently already been knackered by sea water and hasn’t been working for the last six months. Whereas we got about 50 years out of the festoon lighting it seems they can’t even get one year out of its million pound replacement. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

How much noise is really generated from watering flowers..?

I am reliably informed that the problem was not the watering, nor the slurping of the plants nor even the vehicle. It was the twits doing it shouting at each other across the street at 05:00 in the morning. Seems they have no whisper mode as well as no consideration

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I am reliably informed that the problem was not the watering, nor the slurping of the plants nor even the vehicle. It was the twits doing it shouting at each other across the street at 05:00 in the morning. Seems they have no whisper mode as well as no consideration

So it was DBCs staff creating an avoidable situation. 👍

Next it'll be we are removing all baskets because of abuse to our watering staff.

Edited by NoTailT

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The pump on the back of the truck they use for the Glorious Hanging Baskets of Castletown is fairly noisy, but its out at 8am on a weekday and everyone should be up for work anyway.

The Sunday morning summer leaf blower can piss off though.

Well!  That’s taken me aback.   From the remainder of this thread, I’d gained the impression that all was sweetness and light and VFM with the remainder of the island LAs - and only Douglas had the communist/fascist (delete one) state, designed to waste money and devise new ways of confounding the rate-payers…

17 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well!  That’s taken me aback.   From the remainder of this thread, I’d gained the impression that all was sweetness and light and VFM with the remainder of the island LAs - and only Douglas had the communist/fascist (delete one) state, designed to waste money and devise new ways of confounding the rate-payers…

To be clear the Castletown hanging baskets are superb every year, and all credit to the parks staff for it.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So if I've read this correctly, some of the past (and present?) burghers of Douglas decided to brighten up one particular street in Douglas, which just happens to be predominantly the site of their abodes, with some flora to be paid for and maintained at the expense of the Douglas ratepayers?

Now it's decided that these displays are going to be dispensed with on the grounds of complaints of noise generated during the maintenance.

Did any of these complaints come from the same residents who entitled their street to the displays? It seems a little odd if they did.